“The most FAWESOME (Fun + Awesome) hotel in the Galleria!”

Hotel Indigo Houston at the Galleria
Ranked #45 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I stayed at the hotel for a little family fun@the Galleria to celebrate my daughter's high school graduation and once entering the hotel we were astounded by the magnificant colors and layout of the hotel. The front desk was shaped like a snail shell (cool)all wood floors and it's 100% NO-SMOKING! The front desk staff was very patient, understanding, friendly and very helpful throughout the entire stay. We did not get a chance to sample the Pi Bar but the menu looked very enticing and we will definantely try it the next time. My husband and I wanted to get away from the kids and one of the front desk agents recommended a lovely out-lined night out for the two of us. I would definantely stay at this hotel any and everytime i come to Houston.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank vmo281

Reviewed June 18, 2011

Prior to booking Hotel Indigo, I stopped in to view two rooms: 627 and 414, Saturday, June 11, 2011. Two days later, prior to booking online, I called to ensure the " One King two room executive suite" on their website was the same as the "largest one" they had. They told me the executive was the largest. When I stopped in again that week, Nichole, a manager had an attitude and said the presidential was the largest. No one had mentioned the presidential suite in the 4 times I had contacted the hotel. She grilled me on who the person was that told me that, and after my light description and telling her I don't remember, she snapped and said "they don't have any Asians working there."
I contacted the hotel 6 times about the sizes of the rooms because I continued to receive different prices and sizes.

When I arrived at 3PM the day of my stay today ( June 18) while on the phone with another guest, the front desk manager Brandon K, told me that he would charge me extra if there were other people visiting the room. He said if anyone, other than myself is in the room after 11pm, he would charge me the rate of $143....my hotel suite was $98.10!!! He said that is hotel policy and every hotel is different.

When was the last time you stayed at hotel and they charged you for having VISITORS, not overnight guests...who watches guests and puts a curfew on them??

There is nothing on the website, the contract, nor postage in their hotel about additional guests/visits. I informed him that people would visit me, there is no party or loud music and that I'm celebrating my birthday. I also mentioned that I would not pay an extra fee for having visitors...and if I'm not happy during my birthday party, then NO ONE will be happy!

I went to my car and called other hotels in the Galleria area. They do NOT charge for additional guests after a certain time, but if 3-4 people and not 1-2, occupy the room overnight, they have an additional charge of $10 ( Hampton, Doubletree and another hotel in the area).

Then Brandon tried to charge me $168 to my credit card!! On their website, nothing is charged to your card upon arrival and as long as you cancel prior to 6pm. I called earlier this morning to check how much would be charged, a woman that answered said "$50 for incidentals," and that it would be deducted from the $98.10 for the room. Brandon said they charge me the $98.10 plus tax = $114 PLUS the $50....that's not what you said this morning!!!

I came back in to cancel. I told them there is nothing in writing that states an increase in rate for additional VISITS or guests. Before I could finish my sentence, he cuts me off and chuckles saying that it is not a hotel's responsibility if I can't pay!! I told him it wasn't about the money, but the additional fee for guests. He confirmed that nothing would be charged to my account.

As a media personnel, who hosts clients, celebrities and parties, I was excited about celebrating my birhday and future events at Hotel Indigo...but they will NEVER receive my, nor any of my friends, clients, or associate's money.

Room Tip: Continuously check rooms/prices, track associates
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Sidbear
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Everything about this hotel was a pleasant surprise. The Decor is cape cod summer and quite well done. The rooms, while not entirely spacious are sufficiently roomy. The internet (free) and office services also were quite good.

I was quite pleased with the free parking. While in a good location, because of the one way streets, its a bit of pain to maneuver in and out. Also, the hotel itself is hidden, while there is a sign on Hidalgo, it's only to the road that leads back to the hotel. I simply missed it the first time through, thinking it was the next hotel just after the entry road.

The hotel staff was eager and prompt, and even though I had one problem with my cooling system it was quickly resolved. I have stayed at numerous other 3 star hotels in the Galleria and find that this one is hands down the nicest and best. I will be staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Pelzigenvater
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night and loved it. My only issue was not with the hotel, but who I booked the room through. I didn't originally get the room I had booked and was charged a $25 upgrade charge to get the room I wanted, which was a King room corner suite. This room was absolutely gorgeous! It had a very comfortable sitting area and the bedroom area was still quite large. The bathroom was one of the biggest bathrooms I've ever seen in a hotel and I loved the shower! I had read other reviews about the air conditioner being so loud, but I think those are people who are used to central heat & air that doesn't make a whole lot of noise. I have window units in my home so the noise of the air conditioner did not bother me at all. The hotel was very convenient to the Galleria Mall, just two blocks from the entrance to Nordstrom's. The hotel decor was so different from other hotels we've been in, and it was very relaxing. All of the staff we dealt with were very friendly and accomodating. My husband and I have decided when we go back to Houston that we will be staying at the Hotel Indigo.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kerry S
Reviewed May 29, 2011

This is the first time I have ever written a review, because most of the time I believe you must get along to get along, but this hotel is just bad. We travel as a family several times a year so my family and I know our way around a hotel and understand things happen, however we also expect things to be fixed when brought to the attention of the staff.

I will try to keep it short:

1) When we booked the room we did for for 2 adults and 1 child. When we got to our room it had one king size bed and no where for our 3 yr old to sleep. We called down for another room, non available, asked for a crib, or pack and play, but again none where available.

2) Ice machines on ALL floors either did not work or where out of ice. We where on the 6th (top floor) and our ice maker had a hand written sign saying it was out of order. No problem things happen I understand, but then I went from floor to floor and ALL ice makers where out. I also found another man along my search that ran into the same problem. I know ice is a little thing, but they should have at least one that had ice in it.

3) One of the only two elevators was broken. When I mean broken I mean that it was stuck on the 6th floor and would just open and close, open and close, open, and close. It did not stop.

4) Cleanliness - we return to our hotel room after a long day of seeing the sites and we what should we find but a dirty cleaning rag on our bathroom sink and no hand towels. This made us survey the room and it looked like the cleaning person left right in the middle of it and never came back. Ugggg

5) When we left in the morning at 10:30AM we asked that a crib or pack and play be delivered to our room because we were still stuck in a room with no place ( other then in the same bed as my wife and I ) to sleep. When we returned back at 8PM there was no crib or pack and play.

BTW, no pool, hot tub, or other recreational area.

There is more, but honestly this should get you a clear picture of the situation. My wife was really excited to check out the hotel since we had never stayed in one before. Well after this visit I really doubt we would ever stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank joshua2415lg
Reviewed May 17, 2011

The brief for this stay was to find somewhere less than an hour from IAH by a mall so we could kill time, staying cool, before our return flight the following day. This worked perfectly - especially with a Cheesecake Factory right on our doorstep.
The downside. No bath, no safe and noisy a/c. The rest was all good and we especially liked the decor. The 'shell' theme appeared everywhere! The check in guy was very friendly and other staff were equally as cheery & helpful. As I am a Priority Club member we were able to have a 14.00 check out which made the stay even more perfect as we could shop, eat, then return to shower and change before heading off for the airport.
The only reason they don't get 5s all the way is that we found the a/c noise disturbed our sleep & while the place was very clean there was a grey limescale type ring around the loo which I would have thought could have been removed.
It cost just £68 RO which I thought was excellent value.
The small restaurant was very bright and welcoming and the breakfast menu was varied and very nice.

Room Tip: Always join the loyalty scheme
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pearl65
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We traveled to Houston for a Birthday weekend for my sister on the weekend of March 19, 2011. We had rooms 622 & 624, which had a view of the parking lot. It was 4 of us staying at Hotel Indigo but 16 of us total. My sister wanted to stay at Drury Inn Galleria because she had stayed there previously, but I told her that we needed to get out of the box. We narrowed the playing field down to aLoft Hotel, The Derek, or Indigo. We loved all 3 hotels, the price was right on all, but Indigo was a short 2 minute walk to the Galleria so we decided to stay there. There was a HUGE wedding party at the Hotel that weekend, so the Hotel was completely sold out.

The entire hotel & rooms were cozy, and brightly colored with hues of electric blues, & lime greens and sea-shells. It gave you the feeling that you were at a resort on the beach instead of the middle of a busy city.

The hotel in located on Hidalgo, which is a one-way street. When you pass Nordstrom you will see the Hotel Indigo sign to the right. Turn in the drive BEFORE you pass the sign and the hotel in behind. We didn't know so we turned in the drive after and we were greeted with Welcome to Staybridge Suites. We turned around in the parking lot, and did not know that Hidalgo was a one way street UNTIL we turned and then was greeted with about 20-25 cars coming head-on. It was scary at the time, but now we just laugh. We zoomed into Indigo's parking lot and we were home for the weekend.

Pros:
Affordable
Next to Galleria; walking distance to the outside entrance to Nordstrom's
Bright color scheme boutique style Hotel
Clean rooms
Huge walk-in shower
free WIFI
Workout facility
Business Center
We were given gift bags for being Priority Club Members
Excellent customer service; we were always greeted with a smile
Free Parking
Mini Fridge
On-Site Restaurant, Snack Bar ( <~ didn't get a chance to try out)

Cons:
the A/C unit's are loud (As previous reviewers have stated)
Our AC unit went completely OUT. It had frozen and had water leaking on the floor everywhere. A call to the front desk, and within minutes had maintenance employees replacing the unit. We were back up & running within 30 mins.
No complimentary breakfast
Small TV's in rooms
No pool
Counter space was SMALL in bathroom
No Microwave in rooms (If you are going to have a mini fridge, please offer a microwave; how are we suppose to warm our leftovers up)
Parking lot is small, so get there early, PARK, and walk to Galleria
No drive-thru luggage drop-off area, nor any visible luggage carts

All in all, our short trip at Hotel Indigo was pleasant. Other than our A/C unit going out, this was the perfect getaway. My sister had a great birthday weekend and we all LOVED Hotel Indigo. We traveled from Beaumont, TX, so we frequent Houston a lot. With that said, we WILL frequent Hotel Indigo as it's the perfect hidden gem in the Galleria area.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple