“The only thing it has going for it is location. The service is terrible”

Hotel Indigo Houston at the Galleria
Ranked #38 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Austin, Texas
“The only thing it has going for it is location. The service is terrible”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

This is the first time I have ever written a review, because most of the time I believe you must get along to get along, but this hotel is just bad. We travel as a family several times a year so my family and I know our way around a hotel and understand things happen, however we also expect things to be fixed when brought to the attention of the staff.

I will try to keep it short:

1) When we booked the room we did for for 2 adults and 1 child. When we got to our room it had one king size bed and no where for our 3 yr old to sleep. We called down for another room, non available, asked for a crib, or pack and play, but again none where available.

2) Ice machines on ALL floors either did not work or where out of ice. We where on the 6th (top floor) and our ice maker had a hand written sign saying it was out of order. No problem things happen I understand, but then I went from floor to floor and ALL ice makers where out. I also found another man along my search that ran into the same problem. I know ice is a little thing, but they should have at least one that had ice in it.

3) One of the only two elevators was broken. When I mean broken I mean that it was stuck on the 6th floor and would just open and close, open and close, open, and close. It did not stop.

4) Cleanliness - we return to our hotel room after a long day of seeing the sites and we what should we find but a dirty cleaning rag on our bathroom sink and no hand towels. This made us survey the room and it looked like the cleaning person left right in the middle of it and never came back. Ugggg

5) When we left in the morning at 10:30AM we asked that a crib or pack and play be delivered to our room because we were still stuck in a room with no place ( other then in the same bed as my wife and I ) to sleep. When we returned back at 8PM there was no crib or pack and play.

BTW, no pool, hot tub, or other recreational area.

There is more, but honestly this should get you a clear picture of the situation. My wife was really excited to check out the hotel since we had never stayed in one before. Well after this visit I really doubt we would ever stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank joshua2415lg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Hampshire
Reviewed May 17, 2011

The brief for this stay was to find somewhere less than an hour from IAH by a mall so we could kill time, staying cool, before our return flight the following day. This worked perfectly - especially with a Cheesecake Factory right on our doorstep.
The downside. No bath, no safe and noisy a/c. The rest was all good and we especially liked the decor. The 'shell' theme appeared everywhere! The check in guy was very friendly and other staff were equally as cheery & helpful. As I am a Priority Club member we were able to have a 14.00 check out which made the stay even more perfect as we could shop, eat, then return to shower and change before heading off for the airport.
The only reason they don't get 5s all the way is that we found the a/c noise disturbed our sleep & while the place was very clean there was a grey limescale type ring around the loo which I would have thought could have been removed.
It cost just £68 RO which I thought was excellent value.
The small restaurant was very bright and welcoming and the breakfast menu was varied and very nice.

Room Tip: Always join the loyalty scheme
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pearl65
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We traveled to Houston for a Birthday weekend for my sister on the weekend of March 19, 2011. We had rooms 622 & 624, which had a view of the parking lot. It was 4 of us staying at Hotel Indigo but 16 of us total. My sister wanted to stay at Drury Inn Galleria because she had stayed there previously, but I told her that we needed to get out of the box. We narrowed the playing field down to aLoft Hotel, The Derek, or Indigo. We loved all 3 hotels, the price was right on all, but Indigo was a short 2 minute walk to the Galleria so we decided to stay there. There was a HUGE wedding party at the Hotel that weekend, so the Hotel was completely sold out.

The entire hotel & rooms were cozy, and brightly colored with hues of electric blues, & lime greens and sea-shells. It gave you the feeling that you were at a resort on the beach instead of the middle of a busy city.

The hotel in located on Hidalgo, which is a one-way street. When you pass Nordstrom you will see the Hotel Indigo sign to the right. Turn in the drive BEFORE you pass the sign and the hotel in behind. We didn't know so we turned in the drive after and we were greeted with Welcome to Staybridge Suites. We turned around in the parking lot, and did not know that Hidalgo was a one way street UNTIL we turned and then was greeted with about 20-25 cars coming head-on. It was scary at the time, but now we just laugh. We zoomed into Indigo's parking lot and we were home for the weekend.

Pros:
Affordable
Next to Galleria; walking distance to the outside entrance to Nordstrom's
Bright color scheme boutique style Hotel
Clean rooms
Huge walk-in shower
free WIFI
Workout facility
Business Center
We were given gift bags for being Priority Club Members
Excellent customer service; we were always greeted with a smile
Free Parking
Mini Fridge
On-Site Restaurant, Snack Bar ( <~ didn't get a chance to try out)

Cons:
the A/C unit's are loud (As previous reviewers have stated)
Our AC unit went completely OUT. It had frozen and had water leaking on the floor everywhere. A call to the front desk, and within minutes had maintenance employees replacing the unit. We were back up & running within 30 mins.
No complimentary breakfast
Small TV's in rooms
No pool
Counter space was SMALL in bathroom
No Microwave in rooms (If you are going to have a mini fridge, please offer a microwave; how are we suppose to warm our leftovers up)
Parking lot is small, so get there early, PARK, and walk to Galleria
No drive-thru luggage drop-off area, nor any visible luggage carts

All in all, our short trip at Hotel Indigo was pleasant. Other than our A/C unit going out, this was the perfect getaway. My sister had a great birthday weekend and we all LOVED Hotel Indigo. We traveled from Beaumont, TX, so we frequent Houston a lot. With that said, we WILL frequent Hotel Indigo as it's the perfect hidden gem in the Galleria area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Andraé T
texas
Reviewed March 9, 2011

We stayed on a weekend and where pleased with the appearance of the rooms. Construction lacks attention to detail but not bad. Hot water in the rooms was luke warm at ten o'clock. However, our experience took a really bad turn in the middle of the night with the fire alarm going off. I was not particularly upset since I have heard of this happening. When we opened our door we were greeted with haze/smoke so thick we could barely see the exit signs. My husband realized it was the CO2 from fire extinguisher. We soon learned the fire was in a room near ours. After about an hour everyone returned to the rooms except out floor. We were given keys to rooms on other floors and told that we could not return to our rooms at the time because of flumes. The next morning we were allowed to return to our rooms after having to sleep elsewhere.
When we checked out we informed them of the hot waterproblem too. We only were told a cursory "sorry" and told that the hot water was due to the fire. (Although the hot water problem was prior to the fire). I was also told that I could not have a receipt showing no incidentals on my credit card because I had booked through an online service.
After we left my husband called and spoke to the manager. My husband explained that we did not press the issue at the desk in front of others but thought that we should have something confirming that there had been no additional charges. He also explained our experience had not been pleasant. The manager apologized and asked for our fax number so that he could send us a certificate for another stay in order to try again.
Five day later and we are still waiting......

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank textrish
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I ordinarily don't eat in hotels but our five year old is ill so I told DH to head off with other guests to the museum and I would order lunch from the lovely menu in the room advertised in the guest book as "24 hour food service" (page 18 cafe and bar info). They then describe the lovely picnic basket it will be delivered in on the same page....so I had no worries about spending the day in the room.

So I call the in room dining number...man answers and he says "we are closed....no in room until six" (it's 1 pm). Front desk...no answer. Concierge, no answer. Guest services, same man, useless! Ask for manager....same man! He finally agrees that if the brochure says that (he didn't know) he would "throw a frozen pizza in the microwave when he gets a chance but I need to come get it".

I hate false advertising almost as much as I hate frozen pizza so my recommendation is not great.

In addition to this they attempted to ask for an additional 25 per night for our fully paid for suite by telling us we had reserved a king instead. We had to pull up our reservation to show otherwise.

I hate sneaky crooks even more than frozen pizza and false advertising!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Igloochic
Taiyuan, China
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Chain with a bit of a bed and breakfast flair. The seaside aspect might be a tad much, but I like the clean, colorful feel. I didn't have any need for the second sink in my room, but appreciated having a lot of amenities and a clean, cheerful room. Staff were helpful. The location is what it is. There is a big mall and some restaurants nearby.

There are times when I would prefer more of a suite set-up, free breakfast and so on, but for this visit this hotel suited my needs very well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
HotelIndigoHouston, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Thank you for taking your time to write a review of Hotel Indigo Houston at the Galleria. As the Hotel Indigo Brand is the first Branded Boutique Hotel concept - we are glad that we delivered the "Bed and Breakfast" flair in a full service hotel environment. We look forward to seeing you again!
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Loved the decor, it was like we were on a tropical island resort. The staff was great and made a big deal out of welcoming us as Priority Club members. This is a great location in Houston convienient to the Galleria (via a long walk, but that's what the Galleria is anyway).

No free breakfast, it's the big city after all. And breakfast was kind of upscale, good but pricey.

The stay could have been better with a couple of changes to the room: We didn't have the usual thick sound-absorbing second drapery to draw, so outside noises came right in. The thermostat was a cheap model that didn't have a switch to put the fan "on" at night to give us background noise to cover the outside noise. The Euro style shower was unique but not practical, it's annoying to spray water all over the place and the shower air is colder when exposed to the entire bathroom, it's kind of nice to pull the curtain and keep it warm, so give us a shower curtain. If it wasn't for these annoyances I would have given this hotel top marks.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for providing feedback about our hotel - both the items that we delivered and your suggested changes. As the Hotel Indigo Brand is the original Branded Boutique hotel concept - we're glad we delivered the intended tropical island resort feeling - but with the added power of the benefits of the Intercontinental Hotels Group - Like Priority Club Rewards!

While the design elements of the hotel include trend setting concepts of the spa inspired shower, energy efficient thermostats with infra-red sensors to detect occupancy and our spa inspired shower with Oxygenics shower heads - we appreciate your feedback on how we can incorporate design elements with our Guest's perception of them. Your feedback is invaluable to us as we move forward.

Thank you again - and we look forward to being your home away from home on your next visit to the Greater Houston area.