“Perfect area but not a warm and friendly hotel.”

Hilton Garden Inn Houston Galleria Area
Ranked #58 of 510 Hotels in Houston
Surrey
“Perfect area but not a warm and friendly hotel.”
Reviewed May 2, 2007

We have stayed in this hotel in April for 17 days as my husband had business meetings in Houston. Me and our daughter came along.
The area the hotel is situated IN is perfect. It's In walking distance from The Galleria. The weather was great, so a little walk was nice.
Also driving from the hotel too for instance The Childrens Museum was easy, not too busy at all.

The hotelroom was good, clean, and it had a microwave and a fridge which is nice if you have a child with you.
Although I must say the rooms are very noisy. If you're in the bathroom, you can literally hear every word that's been said in the next room.
Or if people talk a little louder you can hear them in your room.

The staff is polite but not warm or friendly. It seems like they are just doing there job and basically do not really care about there guests.
They rarely smile, just tell you in a robotic way what your roomnumber is when you check in.
And as we stayed for more than 2 weeks, I pretty much saw and talked with all the people from reception.
I must say that was quite dissapointing, but maybe its different if your just there for a few days for business.
(Check in and check out was efficient and quick.)

Its the good area that makes your stay very pleasant. There are all these nice restaurants in the area. We had some really good meals on Westheimer, which is really close.
I miss it already being back in The UK.

• Liked — The area
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank surreysun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed March 31, 2007

HGI's are usually my hotel of choice when traveling on business nationwide and this was one of the nicest, slightly more upscale ones I've visited, and so it should be to compete in the Galleria area hotel market. The location is wonderful if you need to be near the Galleria, and for after business amenities, there is a lot within 2 blocks, not to mention the Galleria. It is easy to get in and out of and parking is a breeze as well. The price was comparable to what I've paid at other HGI's and thus a good value considering it was one of the nicest and newest I've seen. If you are used to HGI, this one will not disappoint.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Paying to park
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Villette N
milwaukee
Reviewed January 29, 2007

After staying at luxury hotels for special occasions I thought I would try to save on my next trip on a hotel I thought would satisfy my needs. This hotel was average. Being a 3 star and the price you're paying I thought the room was going to be a little cleaner and spacious than your big chain mid-level hotels(i.e best western, holiday inn, etc) and a little downgraded than the luxury hotel.

When I entered the room there was a smell that was unpleasant; however, nothing that would force us to leave for another room. The bathroom was just your normal run of the mill setup you would see at other big chain hotels I mentioned above. AND the chalk between the tiles weren't too pleasant to look at. forget comfortable pillows. they are small, stubby, high pillows that are rather uncomfortable to sleep on.

Room service was fast and the prices were reasonable on the food menu. Check-in check-out was a breeze.

As I mentioned before the price was a little steep for the room quality you were getting. (the room in the picture did look quite appealing) Granted this hotel is not classified as a luxury hotel, however, I guess there is no luck finding a quality room like those you will find at luxury hotels for half the price.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank mikejjj
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed January 18, 2007

I travel often for business and the Hilton Garden Inn’s are probably rated #1 or #2 on my list for chain hotels.

This hotel is located right off Sage very close to Westheimer and the Galleria. It is in a perfect location as it is in a pretty quiet area so you don’t have too much traffic noise. There is a small shopping area including a restaurant right next door, in case you don’t want to drive. I’m sure if the weather was nicer we could have walked to many local restaurants and shopping areas.

On the reservation front, we tried calling several times to add a night before our original night stay. We each talked to two people who just weren’t very helpful and never called us back. My colleague called Hilton and they were able to take care of this for us. Was a bit frustrating though.

Check-in was easy and fast. They accommodated all of my picky requests with ease. I was given an EVO room (part of our corporate contract) which was very nice. Bathroom was located as you walked in to the left. Bathroom was clean, towels were soft and I liked the Neutrogena products. However, the water pressure was not real strong. They also should give you a retractable mirror, this would have been really helpful for putting in my contacts and I’ve seen this at other hotels. A nightlight would be a good addition too.

Room featured a nice Phillips TV with remote (with CC), a microwave and refrigerator, coffee maker, desk with very nice ergonomic chair and plenty of outlets. There was a coffee table and small sofa. The bed was nice, lots of pillows, but it was a little too soft for me. I also ended up getting very uncomfortable the second night because the weight of the blanket with two sheets (one on each side), was just too heavy. High speed internet was lightening fast, loved it.

My room was all the way at the end and looked out onto a parking garage. The HVAC for a nearby building was right under my room and the first night was pretty noisy. The fan filtered it out though.

Breakfast was free (if you are a specific level of Honors member) and they had a good selection of hot and cold foods. I would have liked to have seen tea and coffee service in the lobby day/night, would be a nice touch for the guests. Their restaurant serves all meals which is nice if you don’t want to go out. The hotel also featured an outdoor pool and a small weight room that a lot of people seemed to be enjoying.

Overall, this is a great hotel that is affordably priced for the Galleria area. Lots of nice touches at this hotel make it a great stay. Would strongly recommend to anyone traveling to the Galleria area.

• Liked — Location, Business Services, Room
  • Disliked — Bed comfort
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank RedHeadGo
College Station, Texas
Reviewed December 16, 2006

We've stayed at this hotel about 4 or 5 times now. Really great. Close to the Galleria, but far enough so that its not a pain to get in and out of there. As a Hilton Diamond, have always been upgraded. Very clean, hotel is 100% no-smoking. Its where we almost always stay now when we go to Houston.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jh183116
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 15, 2006

Considering the prices of nearby hotels in the Galleria area, this place is an amazing value! Staff clearly makes a noticeable effort to be cheerful, welcoming, and far beyond helpful. Rooms are not only immaculate, but also provide luxurious touches, such as granite counters and trim, a bed that adjusts from plush to firm, a flat-screen TV, ergonomic work chair, etc. I wouldn't think about staying anywhere else!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank DERICK S
Norfolk, Nebraska
Reviewed July 24, 2006

Held a meeting at the facility. Staff was fantastic, breakfast was great. I am a Hilton Gold VIP, so I have seen a lot of Hilton Properties. This is one of the better ones.

• Liked — Clena
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — 1 block from Galleria, Go to the greek restaurant around the corner on Hildago for lunch
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business