“Not my favorite Houston hotel but overall pretty good”

Hilton Garden Inn Houston Galleria Area
Ranked #61 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for two nights on a recent business trip. Overall, my trip was positive. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
The rooms are nicely done. They feel very clean, the in-room amenities were a nice touch (Bath and Bodyworks)

The hotel had a lot of little extras... like cookies at 4:00 (no earlier); free lobby coffee; hot chocolate and hot tea and chips; salsa at dinner time; and an assortment of newspapers

Free wireless internet

Guarded parking (you have to pay to park)

Decent work-out area. Closed at 10:00 p.m.

CONS:
The location is decent. You can walk to the Galleria Mall but getting in and out of the hotel was really difficult. It's also right next to a strip club.

The hotel staff was adequate. At all times it seemed like there were at least 4 women at the front desk and I felt like they all had an attitude.

Bottomline: Would I stay here again? Probably not because I prefer SPG or Marriott.... but my co-worker LOVED this hotel and stays here every time she's in Houston

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
HGIHoustonGalleria, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Houston Galleria Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear JustCallmeTourGuide,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. We’re happy that you had a positive experience and you enjoyed the wonderful amenities and services our hotel offers. Thank you for sharing your pros and cons with us.
We hope you will consider coming back to visit us in the future.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

When I checked in I told the lady I had requested a feather free room, she proceeded to argue with me that I did not. I made it clear at that time that I needed a feather free room and that I would need all new sheets if there were any feathers in the room. She sent someone up with pillows later and I tried to explain that the sheets needed to be changed and the housekeeper did not speak a word of English. I called back down and the clerk (who I believe was the GM) was very nasty. It took about an hour to get the sheets changed. They also tried to charge me for parking eventhough, I did not have a car at the hotel. I did encounter one male employee that was very helpful when I needed some tape. There were also toiletries in the restrooms downstairs which I thought was very nice and the pool looked very inviting. This visit was very important to me as it was my first time in Houston and I will be back for several days in Dec and was going to utilize this hotel again but, I will look at others. I would say that their customer service needs severe work.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear thequeencole,

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you thought the pool was very inviting and you were satisfied with your interaction with one of our employees. We were very surprised by your experience upon check in. The only conclusion that we can come up with is that the front desk agent assisting you did not fully understand what you were requesting. It is our job to ensure that we ask our guests all the right questions and fully understand what our guests are requesting. We certainly apologize for the breakdown in communication. We certainly appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to prevent the same situation with a future guest.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had the privilege of working with this team and it was an amazing experience. They really listen to you and cater to you well. They answered my phone calls at all hours of the day and completed my requests promptly for our event held here. It was affordable yet professional. The location is amazing and convenient. Diane is the sales person here and she was very easy to work with. I would recommend this place to my family and friends. I plan on coming back here for another event that I organize in the future.

Thanks guys!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
HGIHoustonGalleria, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Houston Galleria Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Ramya,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to share your kind words! It was a pleasure having your event at our hotel and we look forward to working with you in the future! Please let us know if there's ever anything we can assist you with.

I hope you have a great day!

Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

We spent a couple of days in this hotel. Service was great, average but clean rooms. Good breakfast and great location. Walking distance from the Galleria mall and many other restaurants are available from a walking distance. Kids loved the breakfast and the pool. Great value for less than $100/night

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Marcelo Z
HGIHoustonGalleria, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Houston Galleria Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear mzaquia,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review about our hotel! We appreciate your kind words and are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you back next time your travel plans bring you to Houston!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

The hilton garden inn is located in a very convenient part of town. It in within a few miles of most anything you could need. There are a couple places within walking distance, but will most likely need a car to reach good food and shopping.

The rooms were the great hilton standard, each includes a mini fridge and microwave. The breakfast is the best I have seen. It includes made to order waffles with all the toppings, oatmeal, eggs to order along with the buffet with all the trimmings. My favorite is they had a full variety even including cooked veggies on the buffet along with lots of fresh fruit. The buffet is $10.

Complimentary each early evening they have fresh cookies and in the morning they had danish and coffee. Parking is $10.

This would be my hotel of choice when visiting the area again. I also attended a conference at the double tree suites - 3 blocks away when I was there. The hilton garden inn far exceeded the sister hotel.
This hotel was great.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear Jackiesun,

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review on our hotel! We appreciate your kind words and we're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! We agree that in Houston - since our city is so spread out, it's a great idea to rent a car.. however, did you know that we offer a complimentary shuttle and suburban take you anywhere within a 3-mile radius. The Galleria Area alone offers some of the best restaurants in Houston and the best shopping experience in the city - and our shuttle can take you! Next time you're in town give it a try!

Our breakfast is hard to beat! We use real eggs and bake our muffins and croissants fresh every morning! Hard to find a hotel that does that. We're happy that you got to enjoy a good breakfast while you were here.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Reviewed August 28, 2012

There are many great things about this hotel. Good location, clean and modern, free coffee and tea in the lobby area BUT I do have to complain about the King size firmness adjustable beds. It is a neat idea in theory offering different levels of firmness to guests but the ability to adjust the beds to different settings on the SAME bed, makes the bed extremely uncomfortable and bowl like. I actually injured my back from the bed due to its bowl shape and very soft mattress (even if the nozzle was turned to highest degree of firmness) so I was pretty upset and still recovering from it! Not to mention added bills to the doctor! So I would recommend this hotel for anyone not sleeping in one of its firmness adjustable king size beds.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Belle L,

First and foremost, thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we truly appreciate you taking time to share your experience. We're happy you were able to enjoy the convenient location, complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby. Just an added amenity to please our guests!

We're sorry you didn't enjoy the GSS Adjustable Beds. These special king beds are designed to be adjustable on both sides allowing each side of the mattress to be adjusted according to the person’s preference. Since both sides are controlled separately it’s possible that you had a different setting on the other half of the bed, which may be the reason why you were not able to get comfortable.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Business hotel that is pricey during the week but about right for business travelers. However, it offers a great value on the weekends. Seemed like one of the front desk people treated me with a little resentment when I tried to use my Hilton discount points but everyone else was friendly and helpful and courteous. The food in the restaurant was excellent, especially their full offering all-you-can-eat breakfast. Slow WiFi was the only thing that disappointed. The bed and pillows were so comfortable. I got a great sleep. Stay here if you are in Houston and need to be close to the Galleria.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Dear txjfrcc,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review about our hotel! We appreciate your kind comments and we're so happy that you enjoyed the hotel and our breakfast! It's the most important meal of the day - so we try our best to make sure there's lots of variety!

We recently upgraded our Wi-Fi so the slow connection should be a thing of the past! We're testing it every day - twice a day, just to make sure it's lightening fast! Please visit it us again when you're in town! We'd love for you to be our guest again!

Have a great day!