“Excellent Service! Average Gumbo.”

Goode Co. Seafood - Katy Freeway
Reserve with OpenTable
Goode Co. Seafood - Katy Freeway is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 8,451 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Frostwood-1 block before Gessner on I-10 feeder
Description: One of five children, Jim Goode was born and raised along the Texas Gulf Coast. His father was a shift worker at a nearby refinery and his mother spent her time taking care of things at home. Most weekends, you could find the whole family at the local area beaches where the kids spent their time fishing, crabbing and playing in the surf. Jim loves this way of life and he especially loves the food. So in an effort to combine his fondness for the roadside diners that dot the Texas and Louisiana coastline with his love for the region's seafood, Jim began to explore how he could translate his passions into a dining experience that would ultimately bear the family name. In 1986, he located a passenger train car that looked like it would fit the bill. He negotiated its purchase and moved it to its current location on Westpark. A few months later, Goode Company Seafood was born.The concept was to grill fresh seafood over mesquite, or fry it in refined oil with a thin batter. So, while you'll find signature dishes like campechanas, seafood gumbo and whole stuffed flounder on the menu, you won't find sauces or heavy layers of breading to mask the flavor of the fish. And if something isn't in season, you won't find it on the menu.
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The service is top-shelf from entrance to exit. It doesn't get any better. My family and I had a nice visit and overall enjoyed our stay. I started with an appetizer of "Shrimp Creole Pie" and loved it...spicy and very tasty! My main course was a bowl of "Shrimp Gumbo", which I found to be surprisingly average. Not very spicy, but bland. It wasn't bad, but the roux or gravy tasted like it was once frozen and thawed, not fresh. For the price and quality of restaurant, this shouldn't be. I didn't make a big deal because it wasn't bad, just not the overwhelming deliciousness I have come to expect from the Goode name. I may return and NOT order the gumbo.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We have eaten here for years but moved inside the Loop and haven't been here for awhile. Went there to meet someone from the Westside halfway. Sat on patio, just beautiful and service didn't suffer. Actually really good service. But the best thing is that when we booked a reservation on Open Table we specified that my husband who has celiac disease needs to eat gluten-free. When we arrived at our table they had a gluten-free menu ready for him. He ordered a whole flounder in the manner it was advised on his menu. Someone from the kitchen came out and asked him if he would like some garlic and olive oil and herbs on it. Also - since he ordered steamed asparagus instead of grilled, would he like some butter and parmesan on that. We have never had this happen, I don't think anywhere. Food was cooked beautifully and not boring. As for the other two of us, Mine was great and I offered some of my crab campechana to the others since it was so large. They took me up on it. Our daughter's fiance had the etoufee and he said it was exceptionally good and he's a Lake Charles boy.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Ate here last night and what a great surprise, have passed it many times and for some reason never felt like trying it - maybe the sign just isn't inviting or whatever but anyway.........

Service - very impressive and friendly, attentive and helpful, lots of explanations given and let us take our time to order
Appies - I had the signature shrimp cocktail thing with chips which was nothing short of fantastic, a new fave in Houston
Main - I had fried shrimp and catfish, catfish was amazing but the shrimp had a strange taste I've tasted before in Pappadeaux, not sure why but won't order it again in Houston, seems to be a theme

All in all a great meal though, highly recommend

Rob

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We are from the Dallas area. A friend told us years ago that we should try this place some time. I am sad it took us so long to find it! I had the Mahi Mahi with jumbo lump crab served with Texas Jumbo shrimp. Amazing!! My husband had the fried flounder. It was delicious too! I was hesitant about the hush puppies because they have pecans in them. Wow, what a great flavor!
Since it was our visit, the waiter brought us one of the house specialty seafood cocktails. I never eat that kind of thing and would have never ordered it on my own but it was delicious! We had lots of leftovers but still tried the red velvet cake. YUM...we will make a point to return each time we are in Houston!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were in Houston on Father's Day and we went here for lunch. There was no wait, but it was very busy. Very efficient service, but not rushed. Since we have never eaten there before, our server, Sefik, explained about the history and that the food they serve has never been frozen. In fact, if they can't get it unfrozen, it's not available. He brought us samples of their famous shrimp and avocado appetizer....and of course we then ordered one. The rest of the meal was excellent and they packaged what we couldn't eat with ice so it would be fresh when we go to where we were staying. Sefik is a great server and made our experience there very pleasant.

1  Thank Mamasans