“Pleasant Surprise”

Cuisines: American
Neighborhood: Greenway/ Upper Kirby
Neighborhood: Greenway/ Upper Kirby
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We went to "steak night" and, when I walked in the door, it was clear that the theme was that of an English pub - so much so that I was surprised not to have a haze of smoke hit me. It is dark inside (although there is a patio that is lovely) but there was certainly enough light to read and eat (and drink by).

Our waiter was friendly and very helpful. She helped us through the extensive beer menu and answered all of our questions. Our steaks came perfectly done and I couldn't believe how wonderful the meal was - all for $14! Our waiter came by several times to make sure we were happy and needed nothing else and, after my friend asked about vegetarian options (his wife doesn't eat meat), she actually brought over a menu brochure and had circled the various choices!

I will definitely be back! What a terrific gem.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Although this place is in a strip center, walk in and you think you are in an English pub. Great atmosphere, a large number of English beers on draft including Strongbow cider, and a local cask conditioned ale suited my husband and me just fine. The menu had several typical English dishes, not expensive, served fresh and hot. We ate bangers and mash and fish and chips correctly served the English way with peas. There was also a dart board which added to the English ambience. Table service was fine although it took a few minutes for the server to get to us. We enjoyed the meal and would go back.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

This place is just a fabulous location for food and drinks. Well priced, good portion sizes, and great atmosphere. But I want to bring to light their salads, Wowow !!! Best salads in all Houston, easily better than normal restaurants. Just typing about them makes me salivate. And don't forget those individual nachos.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

This pub is in a strip mall and it feels like it, too. The service was slow and grudging and the place had a dank smell to it. I got the feeling that unless you were a regular, you really didn't rate for service. The food was actually quite good, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go back.

Reviewed September 30, 2011

Anyone coming in is treated like a longtime friend. True British Pub flare and atmosphere in a easy location to find.