“Authentic Tapas in Energy Corridor”
Review of Rioja Restaurant - CLOSED

Rioja Restaurant
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Rioja is a classical Spanish restaurant serving food and tapas from all areas of Spain. These recipes have been in our family for over 200 years.
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Good spot to get some tapas in the energy corridor of Houston. Their sangria is refreshing and they also have a good wine list. We tried several of the tapas, most of which I thought were great. My favorite would have to be the croquetas de jamon which were just so flavorful; they reminded me of a Spanish boudain. The empanadas are also pretty darn good, the dough is splendid. My third favorite was the stuffed paquillo peppers which was stuffed with a cod fish beschamel. Lastly we had white asparagus wrapped with Serrano ham which was okay, I wasn't exactly a fan of the sauce and the chorizo balls. I love chorizo so I wasn't exactly impressed but I may be a harsh critic! I've also had the paella here once before and it was definitely authentic!

Luis A, Manager at Rioja Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

You're very thoughtful for giving us this feedback! From the flavorful croquetas de jamon to the splendid empanadas, I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed a tasty meal with us, Elisabeth. That said, is there anything that would've made your 3-star experience a 5-star? It sounds like you really enjoyed your time, so I'm eager to hear how else we could impress! You can always reach us at (281) 531-5569.

Next time you're craving tapas, please keep us in mind! You've always got a spot at our table.

Cheers,

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I have been to this restaurant several times. We understand good food and service comes at a higher price and we are fine with that. However, the server walked us to our table ,places the menus on the table and leaves. No greeting just silence on her behalf. The food was overly salty and the paella tasted like it was made in the morning and had been heated up all day..it was dry and overly salty. Overall terrible experience that cost us money. I do not recommend this restaurant.

It's truly disheartening to read this review, Ana, as it's the last impression we wish to leave on our regulars. I apologize for my delay in addressing your concerns as I'm just now becoming active here on Tripadvisor.

When it comes to your visit in December, I'm disappointed that you felt it was a "terrible experience" overall. We never want our guests to leave feeling unsatisfied, so I sincerely apologize that we missed the opportunity to improve your visit before you left. Since some time has passed, I sincerely hope you'll give us another opportunity to impress. I know we can give you the 5-star meal you deserve.

Kindly,

Reviewed November 9, 2013

The only really authentic Spanish food in Houston. Good food, really good Spanish wines at reasonable prices. Watch for their paella, sucking pig and roasted goat nights. Unique.

1  Thank Christopher A

Your opening line says it all. Thank you for taking the time to share such a glowing recommendation for us, Christopher. Regardless of how much time passes, I'll always appreciate your support. I can’t wait to welcome you back the next time you’re craving tapas. Our door's always open!

Cheers,

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I thought is time to have some tapas. Me and my husband love tapas and had all sorts in numerous visits to Span and Spanisch Islands. We were so excited as the menu on web looked good. When we arrived the restaurant looked awesome - white table cloth etc..cool, I think. We look at the menu and instead of ordering bunch of small plates we decided to go for lunch special - one appetizer and entree. I picked Dates wrapped in bacon and hubby Mushrooms in garlic sauce. It was served with fresh bread and Italian spices oil dip - oh...it was delicious....food was awesome, we started to talk that we need to make this place our regular stop etc. We ordered bottle of Spanish red wine...all looked good. Than....the main meal come...WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hubby had : Steak with garlic mash potatoes - steak???? I don't even know what it was, but sure it was NOT edible....he ordered Med-Rare as steak should be served...came rare, chewy so he asked to cook little longer - that did not help. I tried it to see for myself - seriously after 3 MINI bites Iw as done - my jaw was aching from chewing!!!!!!!!!!!! and potatoes? not garlicky and sprinkled with some grated cheese???? he left all on his plate, and this is the man who normally eats all his and half of mine! Me??? not better - I ordered flounder with braised quinoa - Fish was berried under some disgusting red sauce and was served with FRIDGE COLD quinoa!!!! Who serves hot and cold on one plate?????? We will NEVER be back!!!!

It’s upsetting that we fell short of providing you with a truly flavorful experience, Eva. What you describe is far from the impression we wish to leave on our valued guests, so I'm hoping we can make this right.

Firstly, I want to apologize for my delayed response as I'm just now active on this platform. Had I known back in October, I would have immediately reached out. After all, your happiness is always a priority.

When it comes to your meal, I'll admit that your experience sounds very out of character for us. We pride ourselves on serving the freshest ingredients and always prepare our dishes to order. With that said, it's truly disheartening to read you felt differently. The last thing we want is our guests to leave unsatisfied, so I sincerely apologize we missed the opportunity to improve your experience before you left.

Since some time has passed, I truly hope you'll give us another opportunity to impress. I'm confident we can provide you with the 5-star meal you deserve.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Didn't get our order right (food missing). We were overcharged, and the owner does not accept responsibility.

1  Thank Jourdanv