โ€œFantastic Foodโ€

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My husband and I dined at this restaurant. Our first visit because our son's girlfriend works there. My review is not biased because she works there....just so you know :) I ordered the fried shrimp and my husband had a bowl of gumbo as well as the catfish. As we are not sushi eaters, I can't comment on that food. We ordered the fried mushrooms. I had a glass of chardonnay, their house wine. For dessert, we had a scrumptous chocolate cheesecake (absolutely divine and very rich!). The food was well prepared, brought to us timely, and hot. The portion size is just perfect. We sat in the bar area because all Kira's tables were full in the restaurant. It was a great experience and we will be back!

Reviewed February 29, 2012

We're new to Houston and especially to this part of town (far northwest), so we are constantly collecting reviews from friends and neighbors. Redfish was one of the first places our neighbors mentioned that we must try, so when the opportunity arose to dine there with some other locals, we jumped at it and were not disappointed. The menu has so many enticing choices, and our waitress intuited correctly that I was a mite overwhelmed. She saw me looking at the list of sushi and suggested that I have the Suzy Roll. Now, I am a bit of a sushi snob, so my initial thought was, "This isn't REAL sushi," but I read the ingredients and decided to give it a whirl. I also ordered a cup of gumbo. I'm also a gumbo snob. I was not disappointed in either choice and I look forward to returning for a BOWL of the gumbo and some more of these innovative sushi rolls and some of most other things on the menu. I tasted several of my dining companions' dishes, notably my partner's steak, which was perfectly cooked and seasoned; and my BFF's scallops, which were divine. The presentation is positively artistic. The place is quirky enough to appeal to my penchant for the unusual, and the location just four miles from our home cannot be beat. The only reason I cannot give it five stars: We had to send the wine back twice. How can a server possibly confuse Chardonnay for Cabernet? On the third and final attempt, she brought the Estancia Cabernet that we had initially requested and had been told was out of stock. So it isn't a place for wine snobs. So what? It's charming, popular, locally owned, and delicious. We'll be back.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

We had lunch today at Redfish Grill on highway 249 for the first time โ€“ we probably will not return.

Todayโ€™s lunch started off great. Our crab meat stuffed mushroom appetizers were fantastic and the obviously made-from-scratch dressing on our salads were outstanding.

But things went quickly downhill from there.

My wifeโ€™s lobster bisque was quite watery.

My crab stuffed flounder arrived with skin and tail attached and was not a very appetizing presentation. The taste was rather bland.

My wife ordered the filet mignon topped with grilled shrimp. She asked for her steak to be rare, but it arrived medium well. The grilled shrimp on top of her steak were quite small.

There was only one waitstaff person working on the second floor of the restaurant. He gets an A for effort, but was obviously overwhelmed by being the only person serving the entire second floor.

There are plenty of great seafood eateries in Houston, but I think Redfish Grill is not one of them.

Reviewed February 8, 2012

Although this restaurant is a ways out of Houston on the Tomball Freeway it is well worth the drive. It is a two story restaurant with a nice dining room upstairs, which they do not allow small children. The downstairs dining area and bar can be noisy. We made reservations and ate upstairs. Our waitress was very friendly and the food excellent, we both had the Salmon for our main course.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

While in Houston recently, we visited Redfish Seafood and were so glad that we did. We arrived for a late lunch and were able to get the lunch specials which are good until 3PM. I had the Blackened Redfish with Chilpotle Crabmeat Sauce and my husband had his favorite seafood meal, fried shrimp. The sauce on the redfish was exquisite which I enjoyed mixing with the steamed Japanese rice and the fish was perfectly cooked.

My husband had a question about the preparation of the shrimp, and one of the owners came to our table to explain that they "skewer" the shrimp before frying to help with its tenderness. (I hope I got that right!)

Many of the customers seemed to be regulars known by the wait staff and called by name. About half of the orders were for their beautiful platters of sushi. There were awards on the walls stating "Best Sushi in Houston."

The prices were reasonable and we would definitely be back more often, especially if we lived in Houston. Redfish Seafood is a well-run establishment.