“Great Patio... Downhill from there”

Maria Selma Authentic Mexican
Ranked #1,266 of 8,144 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
“Great Patio... Downhill from there”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I was doing dinner with some friends on a Sunday night and they suggested Maria Selma. Never been so I was excited to try something new. When we walked in the patio area was very nice and perfect for a fall evening. From there, things went downhill. We arrived about 10 minutes after the others in our party and I realized they hadn't even received menus. We finally got menus, then ordered 30 minutes later. Food arrived about 45 minutes later...

All in all, a casual mexican dinner lasted about 2.5 hours and only three other tables were even occupied. The staff was rude and could typically be found inside gathered around the bar on their phones. The food was decent but there are just too many good mexican restaurants in Houston to deal with poor service.

Probably will not be back.

• Visited October 2011

Texas
“food okay but prices are a bit steep for what you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

Others may disagree but $13 for an enchillada plate seems a bit much to me.

the good:
The service is excellent. The restaurant looks a lot better on the inside than on the outside. The mole sauce is better than average.

The not so good:
Don't order the fajitas - the meat tastes like the frozen HEB fajita meat and it's expensive - like Pappasitos pricing. The rice is mushy.

• Visited July 2011
Erbendorf, Germany
“Great food- great people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

I recently found this restaurant after getting lost in the area. After I explained my inability to find my way to where I was going, the staff seated me until my friend arrived. The only thing they asked was that I return to try their food. Their kindness meant the world to me at the time.

After visiting the restaurant for a meal, I was very impressed with the quality of food and continued attentiveness of the people that worked there. Their portions were the perfect size and I really enjoyed the attention they gave to presentation. I will certainly eat there again! Oh, I almost forgot, they have extended breakfast hours on Saturdays and Sundays!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I've never been impressed with the food here though others like it.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2008

I've never been impressed with the food here though others like it.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook