“Real Texas Chicken Fried Steak!!!!”
Review of Goodson's Cafe

Goodson's Cafe
Ranked #211 of 8,380 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I had seen this place on a food show before I ever came here and thought that I should swing by when in that part of town. It lived up to it's fame. All the food was top quality and very large servings. The price was fair, but this is no cheap eats place. You can still throw down a good meal for what you pay at other sit down places. Not a greasy spoon, not a bar b q place, not a totally traditional café. But all of these!!! In Texas, we say that a measure of a good chicken fried steak, beside how it tastes is if the breading falls of when you cut it. You guess for yourself based upon this review if it did? This place gets slammed, so come early. I would hate to see what the line looks like in the evenings, so best time to come is at lunch or just after.

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

The chicken fried steak really is as good as they claim. The sides really deserve a ton of accolades also. Homemade mashed potatoes, perfectly fried okra, and the gravy is top notch!

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We eat at Goodson's about twice a month. Good food good service. We typically eat the Hickory Chicken Salad with dressing on the side. We love the rolls but limit ourselves to only one.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I love chicken fried steak so when D3 featured Goodson's as one of the places to go, I dragged my family to go there for lunch. The place was as expected for a down home cooking, the staff were friendly and actually good service. I expected more like a mouth melting CFS, but not too bad. The batter was crisp and the meat was tender. The rolls were great though, love it. Will I come back? if not for the long drive, definitely.

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I've been going to Goodson's for 15 years, and I've never been disappointed. The food is amazing. The staff is friendly, and I love the gift shop area in the front. A great place for American cuisine!