“Didn't live up to the hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Goodson's Cafe

Goodson's Cafe
Ranked #182 of 8,144 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Houston, Texas, United States
“Didn't live up to the hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

I was in search of a really good CFS (country fried steak) and was directed to Goodson's. The restaurant has been there a long time and typically attracts a crowd. Maybe it was "the bomb" at one time, but now I'd rate it as ok but nothing special. I've had many better CFSs in the Houston area

Visited July 2012

Spring, Texas
“Great chicken fried steak”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Went to Goodson's for lunch the other day while in the area. There is only a few parking spots out front, so we had to park in the back and walk around. No biggie though as there was a covered walkway to travel on so we were not in the sun.

Upon entering the door, you a greeted by a giant painted cow statue that my little girl loved. She wanted to get on it, but there were signs all over saying "Do not get on"
There are a bunch of other trinkets and items to peruse while you wait to be seated.

We wanted a booth so we were shown to the bar area. We were the only ones in there so that was kind of nice. Service was pretty good and attentive. We ordered our drinks and the mixed basket while we looked over the menu.

The mixed basket was good. It was filled with onion rings, fried mushrooms, cheese sticks and fried okra. The batter kept falling off the onion rings which is a big faux pas. Flavor was good for everything we tried and I would recommend that dish so you can try a variety of foods.

For entree, wife and I decided to split the large chicken fried steak. This thing is enormous. It was hanging off the plate on all sides. Way too much food for just 2 of us. We ordered mashed potatoes and baked squash as our sides. The CFS was great. Really tender and not all batter with little steak inside. This thing was all meat.The gravy complimented it well and the rolls they bring out go great with everything. Baked squash was also tasty, but needed a little more seasoning. The mashed potatoes were okay and covered in gravy even better.

My daughter had the catfish which I tasted. It was pretty good as well. Nice, crunchy corn meal batter and did not taste fishy like you get at some places. The kids portion came with 5-6 strips which was a big helping for a child.

I would return here again and like to try some other items from the menu. It will be hard to not be tempted to order the CFS again though because it is so awesome.

• Visited July 2012
Texas
“Excellent Family Dining Venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Go here if you want a taste of good old Texas fare. Chicken fried steaks, burgers, comp yeast rolls and gravy, roast beef, catfish and everything else you crave in Texas food is right here.

• Visited June 2012
Tomball, Texas
“Famous for Chicken fried steak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Everything is delicious, no matter what you order - - and the best homemade rolls!

Visited November 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“generous sized portions, great service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Being a Yankee I am not much of a Chicken Fried Steak fan but this was pretty good. The serving size was huge even though I ordered the smaller of the two sizes available. It is a lot of fried batter to eat. It is apparent that this is a long standing family run restaurant and a local favorite for good reason. Good food, great service, good prices. Nothing really outstanding for me but I can see how a Chicken Fried Steak fan would love this place.

• Visited May 2012