“Expensive pies are just okay, not a great value”

House of Pies Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 160 Dessert in Houston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Just bought a slice of Boston Cream pie, a friend had the Strawberry Cheesecake. Decent pies even though they weren't fresh at 2:45am on a Wednesday. The whipped cream was a bit crusty but overall still decent; same on the strawberry cheesecake. The strawberries seemed a day old as well and not fresh. My only gripe is the expensive price of the pies: one slice of Boston Cream came out to be $4.65 at this location (incl. tax); I didn't pay attention to what my friend paid. Still a bit high for the overall quality and taste in my honest opinion. A fairer price would be $3.00 for its taste and quality imo. I did not try the food as other reviewers have suggested against it. I probably won't be going back.

There are newer reviews for House of Pies Restaurant

Reviewed December 14, 2012

always a good place to go for breakfast served anytime, the food is pretty good and always recommend getting a bakery item to go, pies cookies are delicious, the service is good during the day, there seems to be many regulars so that is a good sign. it is a blast from the past type diner, but needs a little TLC on the furnishings. But go for the food and pie you cant go wrong here.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

It's a 24 hour Coffee Shop. A good old fashioned Coffee Shop. I do not think the decor has been updated since it opened. I like the BLT and the Club Sandwiches but I go for the Pie! Favorite Pies are Bayou Goo, Coconut Cream, and Texas Pecan. There are Dozens of Pies. They also have cakes and cookies.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We shared an awesome BLT so we could have dessert. We had Key Lime Pie and it was very good. We always plan a visit to House of Pies when we are in Houston. It's an old tradition in Houston and one we love!.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

So my bf and I decided to go for a late night drive, and decided to stop by House of Pies for some coffee and dessert. The restaraunt was crowded but clean. We say at the counter and the waitress was nice. We both ordered coffee, then I a slice of German Choc cake and he the Bavarian Banana cream pie. They were out of his pie so he went with the Italian Creme cake. The coffee was really good. My cake was frozen, but after a few minutes I was able to try it out. It was not bad, tasted like a typical store bought cake. His was better. Really moist. We did not have any of the entrees but from what I saw food was similar to Dennys/IHOP. Nothing special, but okay after a late night out and everything else is closed. I wouldn't go out of my way to dine here but if in the area, I would probably go back. Next time for what they are known for...pie.