“Very Texan!”

Ranked #496 of 8,202 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Goode Company BBQ has served countless plates of savory, mesquite-smoked barbecue to Houstonians for more than 34 years (and counting). We take pride in what we do, make everything from scratch, and stay true to the Goode family’s recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation. From our beef brisket or spicy pork— to our homemade jalapeño cheese bread, we serve BBQ the “goode way.”We also carry a variety of items in our online store, such as smoked turkey, turkey and pecan pie gift sets, sausage, brisket, BBQ gift baskets and Texas gift baskets.
Teaneck NJ
“Very Texan!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

They do a good job! Not a pork eater, I was not happy to see the same knife touch my beef. They listened and cut my piece of beef with a new clean knife. The only problem was that all the BBQ sauces and side dishes had pork in them, so my brisket was a touch dry. Still, it was quite an experience and well worth the visit!

Houston, Texas
“The point of diminishing returns”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This place has long beem my gold standard for barbecue in Houston, because throughout the years it has always hit the spot whenI got the urge for some authentic Texas barbecue with all the trimmings. These days, however, I find the portions smaller and the bill for a two meat plate almost double what it was back seven or eight years ago when I first tried this place. I know; things are more expensive than they used to be, but the hard fact is they have pretty much priced themselves out of being a lunch option when you can't get in there and eat with out all but destroying a twenty dollar bill...sorry, but that's just over my line for lunch, especially when all we're talkin' is a portion of brisket, some sausage, a dollop of potato salad, and a spoonful of pinto beans and a fountain drink.
I'm not saying it's not good - brisket, especially from the point, is very flavorful and tender, and the ribs, chicken, and sausage are as good as any, and better than most; I just wish it all hadn't gotten so expensive.

Visited February 2014
goodecobbq, Owner at Goode Company Barbeque, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Hi Tim,

Thanks for taking the time to send in your review of Goode Company BBQ. We value the opinions of our guests and are disappointed to hear you were not completely satisfied with your last visit. We scratch-make all of our dishes daily using the highest quality ingredients, which can affect our prices. We're happy to hear you enjoy our authentic Texas BBQ and hope you will visit us again in the future. Thank you again for your feedback; hearing from customers like you is invaluable.
Katy, Texas
“Brisket is scrumptious!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Got the Brisket sandwich & yum! Their menu is not vast, which is actually a great thing because they do few things & they do it well! Anyway back to the Brisket, it's so tender, juicy & the sauce is not overbearing & brings out the yumminess of the meat! So good! Really enjoyed it a lot! And the restaurant itself has a cool old time saloon type feel which is fun. But let me stop & say, please disregard everything I just typed & try the Pecan pie. It's TO DIE FOR! Not even joking i have and probably will go back just for the pie.

• Visited December 2013
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“sadly did not live up to expectation of years ago taste”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We lived in Houston many yrs. ago and 'discovered' the original Goode Co. down near Kirby Dr. On this visit back to the city, I was so looking forward to a trip to a Texas BBQ place and was thrilled when my husband found the Goode Co. I could hardly wait… was still the old entrance and smells good, very kind and friendly servers… but so sad.. the food was not very good. The bbq was bland, the extra bbq sauce that we asked for tasted like an Italian sauce. The stuffed baked potato (yes… everything on it) was also very disappointing. The pecan pie, however, was very tasty and I am not a huge pecan pie lover, but this was good. I do hope they taste their own food, and get some critical reviews and impove, as they carry a big name!

• Visited November 2013
goodecobbq, Owner at Goode Company Barbeque, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Hi Terri,

Thanks so much for taking the time to send in your feedback on your recent visit to Goode Company BBQ. We value the opinions of our guests and are very disappointed to hear our BBQ didn't live up to your previous experience. I can assure you we still scratch-make and prepare all of our dishes using the same recipes from way back when. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the pecan pie and do hope you enjoyed your visit back to Houston. Thanks again for sending in your feedback; hearing from customers like you is invaluable.
San Antonio
“Just average”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

It had been a number of years since we ate at any of the Goode Company BBQ places in Houston so we stopped for lunch today on our way through Houston. It was not nearly as good as we remembered. The brisket was reasonably tender but bland. The sausage was even blander and a bit dry. We hoped both could be salvaged with the dipping sauce but it was overly sweet and not really spiced. On a positive note, we really liked the potato salad. We won't be in any hurry to return.

• Visited November 2013
goodecobbq, Owner at Goode Company Barbeque, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thanks for much for sending in your review of Goode Company BBQ. We value the opinions of our guests and are disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your visit as much this time, especially the brisket and sausage. We aim to serve the highest quality dishes and can assure you overcooked or under-seasoned food is not up to the Goode Company standard. We're glad to hear you enjoyed the potato salad and hope you will give us another shot and visit again in the future.Thanks again for sending in your feedback; hearing from customers like you is invaluable.