“Best Sushi in Texas”

Neighborhood: Great Uptown
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas, USA
“Best Sushi in Texas”
Reviewed April 2, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The decor could be updated - it's pretty basic strip-mall sushi bar that hasn't changed in at least 15 years.....but you're not coming here for glitzy decor. This place serves up the best sushi I've had perhaps outside of Hawaii and Japan. The fish is fresh and of very high quality - nice portions as well - and the rice is perfectly seasoned and just the right temperature when served. Ginza usually has some of the more rare and special selections to expand your palate. This visit I tried an interesting "New Zealand salmon" which was excellent. My only disappointment was that they were out of uni...but it was a Monday.

Visited March 2014

Bruxelles
“Very good take away”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Went there upon recommendation of a colleague, for a take away meal. Small place (compared to some Houston mega-restaurants), it was nearly full but nice atmosphere, very gentle and helpful service. I ordered two take away rolls, were prepared right away and they proved to be quite very good. Good prices, very good price/quality ratio. I did not eat in the restaurant, but really enjoyed the food. and will eat over there next time. Might be time maybe to renew some of the inside decorations, but a good address for a good, simple meal or a take away box.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank TCMFBruxelles
“Best Sushi in Houston”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Its a family own restaurant, without any pretentiousness. Lobster roll is my favorite with a Sapporo beer.
Great service, almost personalize, the know you by name and treat you like family.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Carla J
Houston, Texas
“Nowhere Near The Hype, Go To HEB Instead!”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Many of the reviews for this place on tripadvisor and other sites were quite good so I decided to give Ginza a try. Once I walked in and saw the owner, I started to feel uneasy. This is a Japanese restaurant owned by a Chinese man. RED FLAG! Is it wrong or against the law for a Chinese man to operate a place that sells Japanese food? No, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it BUT all the great Japanese restaurants that I have been to (Japonica in NYC and Raku in Las Vegas to name two) are owned by Japanese. Another very good Japanese place in Houston, Nippon, is also owned by Japanese. Now that is not to say that automatically a place is bad because the owner is not of the same ethnic background, Hell, in the 1970s my dad, a Chinese man owned a Korean BBQ Grill. Too bad he was 30 years too early! But just something to be aware of...

Why all the hype? There was NOTHING special about the food at Ginza. I could have easily gotten the same quality at my local HEB sushi kiosk. The prices were reasonable but after several dishes, I stopped ordering because I was so disappointed. After reading the reviews, I was expecting five star, top of the line, high quality, Japanese cuisine but instead I got good supermarket sushi.

With all of that said, my meal was not a bad one in any way. It was decent. But certainly comes nowhere close to what many others bragged about. It can very well be that I am a snob when it comes to food but I also believe that most Houstonians have no clue what great Japanese food is. Most think that a roll wrapped with salmon and seaweed and drizzled with mayo drowned in wasabi soy sauce is high end Japanese cooking. Like I said, many supermarket Japanese kiosk can make you that...........

It is safe to say that I will not be returning to Ginza again. I will drive the extra 20 minutes and go to Nippon where I will be greeted by the Japanese owner.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank mjbbg572
Houston, Texas
“Excellent service, but just average sushi.”
Reviewed July 8, 2011

A nice neighborhood place. Although portions were large, taste did not come up to speed. Tempura batter sadly poor. Presentation of sushi was good...local resident.