“Unexpected and Unreal”

Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“Unexpected and Unreal”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for a quick lunch the other day,and seeing the NASA- related plaques, greetings and thank you notes on the wall we knew it was an appreciated place. Our Houston friends recommended the huge sandwiches and indeed they looked wonderful. However, I asked for Spaghetti Carbonara and what Frenchie's delivered was the most perfect Carbonara I have ever had. Frenchie's is the real thing -- what a gem!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Little Non-Franchise Italian Place”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

As a business traveler it is getting harder and harder to find any unique dining experiences, as every city seems to have the same franchised national restaurant chains. So I was very pleased to find Frenchie's Italian restaurant. It appears to be one of those little family owned places that has been there for many years and continues to do well because they cook great food and provide good service and value time after time. I think every personal I talked to had a noticable American Italian accent. I loved it!

If you go, make sure you make a trip to the bathroom sometime so that you will walk through the back room. The wall of that room is covered with 8"x10" autographed pictures of NASA astronauts. Frenchies is after all less than a mile from the Johnson Space Flight Center... Very cool!

Visited September 2013
Houston, Texas
“A local secret”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The best authentic Italian restaurant in Clear lake/space center . It is one of the first restaurants in the area. The Clear lake area is centered around Johnson's Space center - most residents jobs are affiliated with it and so in the early days before other restaurants came to town - Frenchie's is the " go to place" esp for Astronauts and families. even visiting celebrities frequent this little quiant Italian restaurant. As true Italian places are - it is loud and chaotic ( it is a family business ). Sometimes you can hear them argue and talk loudly with each other and old patrons just smile and look at each other.
My husband and I go there usually for lunch . We like their salad with a special creamy dressing and their bread is so good ( freshly baked). Our favorite lunch item is the Chicken Crepe - it is soo good and decadent . Our office go there to celebrate special occasions like birthdays and etc. Anything that Frankie makes is delicious . They have another restaurant called Villa Capri and we have attended weddings there ( even just a plain pasta with no meat is delicious ! ). You can also order at Frenchie's dishes not on the menu - I ate this wonderful pasta dish at their other restaurant but it was not on the menu at Frenchie's. I described it to Frankie and he whipped it up just like that . He is so sweet and so with the rest of his sisters, brother, and rest of family . Their desserts are home made and they are delicious. They also have big portions - their salads ( entree ) are humongous !

• Visited October 2013
Houston, Texas, USA
“Real Italian in Clear Lake”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Friendly, family-run restaurant. Seems a bit chaotic at first, but everything ends up fine .. it's an real Italian, of course!! We had Seafood Fra Diavolo - fantastic sauce, lots of flavor and a nice 'picante' touch, with plenty of seafood. Also the filet with mustard sauce - to die for, nothing Italian about this, but first class, and the only place I have found this dish prepared Belgian-style in Houston area. And finished sharing a chocolate mousse, great! My only negatives: (1) too heavy on the portions relative to Italy, but then this is Houston; (2) could do reservations on a weekend night, but in fairness our wait was short.

• Visited October 2013
Bartlesville, OK
“Excellent Restaurant”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

One of the very best restaurants I have eaten at. In a shopping center on NASA Road a short drive west of the Space Center. You need to be on the westbound service road of NASA Pkwy to get to it. From the outside, it seems like such a plain place. A 1960-1970's shopping center.
Inside, tables with tablecloths and linen napkins. Photos of Italy and famous astronauts.

Wife had Manicotti with cheese; I had Fettucine with Salmon. Both came with a salad. Huge portions. The sauce was wonderful; one of those secret family recipes, I suppose. The waiter was the best. "Would you like me to answer any questions about our menu?"

One of the best meals I have ever had. Will definitely go there again if we are in Houston area.

• Visited September 2013