“Disappointing...”

El Patio Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #674 of 8,380 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: El Patio was establish in 1964 this Houston institution has great food, great service and outstandingly potent margaritas. We also feature a room to the right side when you enter the restaurant called "Club No Minors" know to keep the party hot and the drinks cold.WHAT HAPPENS AT Club No Minors STAY AT Club No Minors.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I went here on a Sunday afternoon and the parking lot was packed and that's usually a good sign. WRONG! The place is small and you feel like you are sitting on top of your neighbor. The place is dirty...flies, food crumbs, sticky menus...after 5 minutes, I left without ordering anything. It seems like this more of a happy hour dive bar than anything else. However, if you like outdoor settings, this might be the place for you.

1  Thank mykewll

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have been going to the El Patio restaurants since I was a small child. So, the Villasana family has been producing the same recipes for over fifty years that I have been a patron.

What happened? Last night my party of four didn't have one good meal. All four meals were basic Tex-Mex which should have been a "no brainer". The enchiladas were tasteless as were the chili con queso on the tostada chip. The crispy beef tacos were simply bad. As for the tamles I wouldn't have ordred them anyway since they are and to my knowledge have always been machine made. Anyway, the were terrible.
Why are they bringing out the salad plate at the same time as the hot plate? It's just stupid and defeats the experience as well as the hot plate gets cold.
Maybe El Patio can make it on the "Club No Minors" and the nuclear margaritas and don't need to pay any attention to the food. If so, just shut the restaurant down and concentrate on getting people drunk.

1  Thank criticalchristopher
Reviewed February 15, 2013

First, the photo is the Brazos location not the Westhimer location. The photos are swapped. For the Westheimer location image, see the Brazos location.
It is sad to see how this place changed. My family has been going to El Patio for years when it was on West Gray. Since my family moved in the neighborhood in 1968 they have been going to this location. Sadly to cut costs they are not using real cheese on the enchiladas and other cheddar cheesey items but canned nacho quality cheese.

1  Thank ScottC4746
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I lived in Houston for 3 years (2007-2010) and this was our "go to" place. We last went here in December 2011. We went here on the night of our engagement and on many other occasions. We never had a bad experience here. The queso and chips are awesome-always warm and crisp. Their blue margaritas are so good and strong. We usually get the fajitas and are always good. They have great food and great service and we always come back here when we visit. It is a very small place but great food and great prices and they have outdoor seating. Definitely recommended.

Reviewed April 12, 2011

This restaurant is filthy and the food is just as bad. The drinks were watered down including my glass of wine. The table was broken and food was on the floor. Our meal was poorly prepared and tasted like it was out of a can or leftover from the day before. Kids were running around unsupervised -while parents were drinking heavily and in my opinion were clearly over served. This was at 4.30 in the afternoon. Nasty -just plain nasty.

1  Thank Dukeandfamily