“Farewell, Aunt Pat....celebrated her at her favorite Mexican restaurant”

Don Jose Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #3,070 of 8,311 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 7, 2012

My dear Aunt Pat ate at Don Jose's frequently for decades, as it's in her neighborhood. The night before her funeral, 26 of her family got together to eat and toast her at her fav Mexican place, and the staff did a phenomenal job. Trust me, we're a ROWDY group, and the staff took it all in stride and never lost their smiles. Drinks were good and frequent, the food was great for a neighborhood Mexican place, and our servers even took part in a few pranks played by family on family (BIG thumbs up on that one!). Still, it was easy to see how popular the place is with the locals, as even right near closing they were quite full. We all enjoyed ourselves....and I deeply appreciate how well they fed, and took care of, my sweet Aunt all these years. Great Job, Don Jose's....and RIP Aunt Pat.

There are newer reviews for Don Jose Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed December 6, 2011

I lived in Houston, near this neighborhood resturant and dined weekly, however retired and moved to La., recently visited former neighbors and we went to our old family resturant, the waitstaff and owner remembered me, best margarittas and quality bean soup. They will make a meal to order, specifically if you had not had quality mexican food. The waiters never write your orders, amazingly have never made a mistake. Behind the seven and elevan corner of Antoin and Pinemont. Always treated with a smile and coupons in the neighbor hood paper.

Reviewed October 12, 2011

I have been eating here for some 15 years at least once a week. They know me well. They know where to seat me, the usually have my/our "Rita(s)" on the table before we all arrive and get seated. When I first started going there, Luis, the current owner was my usual waiter. Since he is now the owner my current waiter is Carlos who I just l - o - v e. He treats me like family. He knows that I/we usually have several drinks while chatting and will then order. He never rushes us about ordering nor with vacating the table. Try it I think you will like it. I love the "Ritas" sorry others don't. We usually split a meal so our cost per person is lower than most.

1  Thank Pammie0918
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I disagree with the March review! I have been eating at Don Jose's everytime I come to Houston for years. It has a special story. The owners used to be waiters there and when they old owners wanted to retire, the staff got together and bought the restaurant.

The food is very good. Go simple like a number 9 at first.

There is another restaurant if you want to spend 100.00 per person called Hugo's, near Westheimer that is what that reveiwer is most likely calling better mexican food. It is authentic from Mexico City. I will always go to both when I am in Houston!!

1  Thank glindaraye
Reviewed March 4, 2010

i've read the other reviews. they've been wasting their gas and need to go to a real mexican restaurant sometime. there are a lot of them in houston. this place stinks. the staff are not friendly. the so-called salsa is a joke. it tastes like pureed hunt's tomatoes with a couple of green specs of something in it. I've tried this place 4 times cuz its close to my house and each time i regretted it. and its not cheap. i know better places in the vicinity. but this place is a waste of time and your money.