“Spot on with quality and price”

China Garden Restaurant
Ranked #120 of 8,400 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is just the best meal of Chinese food you will get in downtown Houston, nobody else even comes close. The owners are friendly, the staff always there to help, the food pure flavor and taste. I would walk a mile without question and have in the past while staying downtown for business, just to eat at this incredible place.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is my number one spot when staying in downtown Houston for business. I could eat here over and over and each time is a perfect surprise of an incredible meal. You are treated so well by the owners, the staff is always friendly, the food incredibly done, and the price spot on for such quality food.

1  Thank wkrupa7586
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Wanted to have chinese food and just stepped in for lunch. Food is great and I felt I am eating in China. Usually in other Chinese restaurants, they americanize the food. But this was authentic Chinese food. Service was good, although they seemed to be with less manpower. The staff was friendly and assisted in selecting the food. Do try the Hot & Sour soup and Mongolian Beef. You will enjoy it all the way

Reviewed December 6, 2013

After being greeted by Margie, it almost didn't matter what the food tasted like. She refers to herself as a "BFF of the restaurant" rather than an employee, and she makes one feel equally as comfortable. We were there on a concert night, so they had a limited menu in order to keep from having the kitchen get backed up, but it included all of the typical old school Chinese fare. I had Mongolian beef, one friend had pepper steak, and, the best was the lemon chicken my other friend got. It was delicious! My favorite, though, was the throw back egg rolls, meaning the big fat egg rolls that I used to have as a teen. It seems like Asian food has gotten so prissy these days, so some of the oldie but goodies are missing. You know, the thick fried roll instead of the thin and crispy type (which I enjoy, too, but I realized I had forgotten about the old school kind. :) Anyway, service was quick and Margie continued to stop by, and even sat down next to us for a quick chat. She kept us updated on concert info so that we didn't worry about rushing. The whole experience was fun and fantastic. I'll go back but will have to make sure I take my husband and daughter next time. Thanks, Margie!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We left almost in shock about the poor service and mediocre food. The waitress actually rolled her eyes at us at a couple of our requests (for silverware and lemon for our water). I was a waitress once and am always understanding, but the service was the worst I've ever received. The food was OK. I ordered an appletini that was tiny and watered down. When I saw the bill that I had been charged $9 for it, that was the last straw. I do not recommend that you go here. With a underwhelming atmosphere with plastic table clothes, you can do much better at one of the many other restaurants in downtown Houston.