“Felt like I am in China”

China Garden Restaurant
Ranked #117 of 8,283 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
New York
“Felt like I am in China”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Wanted to have chinese food and just stepped in for lunch. Food is great and I felt I am eating in China. Usually in other Chinese restaurants, they americanize the food. But this was authentic Chinese food. Service was good, although they seemed to be with less manpower. The staff was friendly and assisted in selecting the food. Do try the Hot & Sour soup and Mongolian Beef. You will enjoy it all the way

Visited December 2013

“Make sure Margie is there!”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

After being greeted by Margie, it almost didn't matter what the food tasted like. She refers to herself as a "BFF of the restaurant" rather than an employee, and she makes one feel equally as comfortable. We were there on a concert night, so they had a limited menu in order to keep from having the kitchen get backed up, but it included all of the typical old school Chinese fare. I had Mongolian beef, one friend had pepper steak, and, the best was the lemon chicken my other friend got. It was delicious! My favorite, though, was the throw back egg rolls, meaning the big fat egg rolls that I used to have as a teen. It seems like Asian food has gotten so prissy these days, so some of the oldie but goodies are missing. You know, the thick fried roll instead of the thin and crispy type (which I enjoy, too, but I realized I had forgotten about the old school kind. :) Anyway, service was quick and Margie continued to stop by, and even sat down next to us for a quick chat. She kept us updated on concert info so that we didn't worry about rushing. The whole experience was fun and fantastic. I'll go back but will have to make sure I take my husband and daughter next time. Thanks, Margie!

• Visited December 2013
Dayton, Ohio
“Terrible Experience”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We left almost in shock about the poor service and mediocre food. The waitress actually rolled her eyes at us at a couple of our requests (for silverware and lemon for our water). I was a waitress once and am always understanding, but the service was the worst I've ever received. The food was OK. I ordered an appletini that was tiny and watered down. When I saw the bill that I had been charged $9 for it, that was the last straw. I do not recommend that you go here. With a underwhelming atmosphere with plastic table clothes, you can do much better at one of the many other restaurants in downtown Houston.

• Visited October 2013
Coopersburg, Pennsylvania
“You cannot beat this for Chinese food in downtown Houston”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is one of my always stop off locations when I ma in downtown Houston for business. The only issue I had this time was the Toyota Center had an event, which brings out the event menu here and it sadly is relatively short. The hot and sour soup was great, the egg rolls top of the line, and my pork and veggies in brown sauce was tasty. I asked the dish be delivered to the table with lots of spice and sadly it had zero heat at all, but then they were busy so I let it pass. Hit this place when there is no event at the center and the selection is much better, but still even with a cut down menu this is a hot spot............

• Visited July 2013
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“Food was great”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Food was great and they will deliver to the Holiday Inn Express hotel, near by. Service was fast also! I have ate here a couple times.

Visited July 2013