“Best Japonese in the area.”

KOTO Japanese Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #1,252 of 8,176 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
“Best Japonese in the area.”
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

The food is always fresh and the waiters are very polite.

I've been there twice and looking for more visits.

I'm sure is the best japonese restaurant in the area.

Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Freshest & most affordable sushi ever!”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

A friend of mine kept raving about KOTO and I went with her one day several years back, but didn't return since it didn't live up to what my friend had been raving about for so long. I was new to sushi then and just didn't really know what I like. After a few years of trying sushi and knowing what I like and what makes good quality sushi I returned to try KOTO again. I'm so glad I did! The atmosphere is really cute and the sushi is amazing and has excellent prices. I took my husband and he is even pickier than I am when it comes to sushi and he loved it too. On another occassion I met up with a good friend who is now a sushi lover too and she enjoyed the experience as well. Reason for 4 stars instead of 5: Extremely cold in the restaurant, which is good for the sushi I imagine. I've had to send two things back because of the language barrier and was brought the wrong items, but quickly fixed both times. Also, I tried the Super Tiger Eye roll and it was really different from the Tiger Eye roll I've ordered at other sushi restaurants. They don't seem to have the "regular" Tiger Eye on the menu, which is one of my friend's standard rolls. Still a fantasitc place with extremely fresh sushi and low prices!

• Visited November 2013
Houston, Texas, USA
“Good quality & price”
Reviewed November 6, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Know the place for the past 3 years and it has never disappoint, service is great, and so is quality

Visited October 2013
San Angelo, Texas
“Great Food, Great Value, Bad Service”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Let me start off by saying that the food is amazing. If we lived in town, I would come back just for that. I had the tempura shrimp and it was to die for - light and crispy with a very generous portion for the price (the coating was Panko though - not strictly tempura but that is ok). The kids had fried rice and it was flavorful and not oily. We also had the gyoza, 2 sushi rolls, and the miso soup. All excellent. My daughter tried the Japanese version of Sprite and she was enchanted by the taste and the decorative bottle.

The prices were unreal - our bill came to $60 for 5 people including 2 sushi rolls and appetizers.

Our service wasn't the best, which is unfortunate. The server completely forgot my boyfriend's food - he got it about 10 (!) minutes after the rest of the family had finished eating. He had to physically go find the server to inquire about it or she probably never would have remembered as she never checked back. The server also never refilled our drinks and we waited a good 10 minutes for boxes and the check. We ended up having to ask the sushi chef for help flagging our server down for those. It was very frustrating, especially since they only had 2 other tables and they were not busy.

But as I said, the food was good enough that we would give it another chance if we lived in the area.

• Visited March 2013
Houston
“One of my favorites in the area”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have been coming to this place for 10 years. Food is always excellent, service is good, and I am in love with their green tea !!! Thumbs up and I will be coming as long as they are open for business.

Visited February 2013