“Good bar, average Mexican Food”

Lopez Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #166 of 8,348 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Having said that this is average Mexican food, I cannot explain the one plus hour wait on a Friday night. The food is OK and should ot deter you from going. I have had much better, but still go to Lopez because it offers reasonable food at reasonable prices. You will not catch me here on a Friday though..

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Hands down the best Mexican food I've found in Houston so far. Everything on the menu is great. Service is unmatched. Friendly faces from the moment you walk in the door, servers are attentive but not intrusive. Great atmosphere. Closed on Sundays. 3 drink limit on alcohol--go here for the food, not to get drunk. Prices were below what I was expecting for the food quality and service.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family and I have been eating at this family-owned restaurant for about 20 years. The salsa is spicy hot and the food is hot when served. When I visit, I enjoy the tortilla soup, nachos, and the various Tex-Mex combo choices. I usually don't bring any leftovers home!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The other reviews are spot on when it comes to the food and drink quality. This is the best Mexican food I have ever eaten in a restaurant. The margaritas are very tasty as well.

One reviewer complained about high prices. I guess that could be a matter of what you are comparing it to. For the record, I usually go with several other adults and all but one of us will have 2-3 drinks each in addition to our meal. The price is usually around $20 a head. Personally, I consider that inexpensive.

The atmosphere can be noisy, but understand that this is a family friendly place. If you are looking for a romantic evening out, go somewhere else. For me, the noise has never been a problem.

My only complaint is the service. It is sometimes great, but frequently they are very slow to actually bring your drinks to the table. You order them right away, and they give you chips and salsa as soon as you sit down, but you need to wait on eating any salsa for approx 10 minutes before they bring you any drinks (including water). One trick is to go to the bar and get some glasses of water for the table. The service there is usually quick and you can be eating the chips and salsa within 2-3 minutes max (quicker if one of you gets the water while the rest of your party is being seated). That or just bring your own bottles of water.

Normally, I would consider the need to act as your own waiter to be a deal breaker, but the food quality and prices are so good that I still consider this place to be excellent overall. Heck - I would still come to this place even if I had to pick up my own food from the kitchen. I do dock the waitstaff 5% off their tip, however. Of course, that's typically only a couple bucks difference since everything is pretty cheap.

Overall - this is a great place. Just be careful not to dive into the salsa until you actually get some water at your table.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been going to this restaurants for so many years and it is still one of my favorite Mexican restaurants. They have excellent margaritas - just tried their habanero margarita and it definitely had a kick to it. Their enchiliadas are so good. Their beef fajitas nachos make an excellent appetizer. I would recommend anything on their menu because I have a good experience every time I go. They are usually packed on the weekends so get there early if you don't want to wait.