“Excellent sushi, but slow service sometimes”

Nippon Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #458 of 8,507 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've been a regular for more than 20 years. Sushi is excellent. I often take my sea-food monger friends to this restaurant.
I agree that parking is sometimes a problem, just as many other restaurants along the Montrose. I parked a few times across the street. Service sometimes gets very slow, when everyone apparently orders sushi same time :) from tables and from sushi bars. So this is not your pre-theater or pre-movie dinner restaurant. But, sushi is good.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

When I first moved to Houston in 2009, I came here for dinner on a regular basis for about a year. I rated Nippon one of the best Japanese restaurants in Houston at the time. I stopped coming cause it was a bit far from where I live and the parking is challenging at this place. It's a small tight alley with one way traffic. Several times if I went to Nippon after 7 PM I parked in the big open lot of the health spa next door. I just make sure the spa is closed. Don't want to get towed and have to walk home after dinner!

Fast forward a few years and I decided to come back here for my birthday dinner. Upon arriving, I noticed that NOTHING has changed. The parking situation was the same. The menu was exactly the same as it was four years ago. The decor was exactly the same. It was like I never stopped coming here for two-three years. I asked our waitress if there were any specials. She shrugged and said I dunno! We then ordered a special dish that we remember from years ago which was not on the menu and right away she said we have that. So why didn't she answer my question about specials? We ordered a bunch of appetizers such as shrimp tempura, yellow-tail collar, and sashimi octopus over scallions with a sauce that tasted remarkably like apple sauce, maybe it WAS apple sauce. For the main we had the eel over rice, a Houston roll and a fatty tuna roll. Overall, the meal was decent, the eel was by far the best dish. All the appetizers were pretty standard. The two rolls were average. The special that we ordered was Sawagani, deep fried salt and pepper tiny baby crabs. It was not as good as it use to be. The crabs had no taste, almost seemed like the chef forgot to add the salt or the pepper. For a party of two the total came to $92 plus tax and gratuities. As we were driving home, we agreed that we most likely would not come here again, not that it was bad but it certainly was not good enough to drive 30 minutes for, deal with the parking, and be waited on by a sullen waitress. I have noticed that many travel/restaurant sites hype up this place. Maybe it was better several years ago but now it's become very blah. For $92, we could've had much better Japanese meal elsewhere.

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

You would expect from a medium size place that charges quite a lot for sushi to be prompt. After all it doesn't take much to roll a sushi. But we found this place to be very slow in preparing our dishes, and when they came they were too ordinary for the bucks.
The overall experience was disappointing, though the atmosphere in the restaurant is nice.
Pass.

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

The service isn't great so if you like to be "served", this isn't the place for you. The sushi is amazing and the prices are really good. Some friends that know more about sushi than I do call it one of the most authentic Japanese rest. in Houston.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

The attitude of the server can make or break an experience. I heard such great things and had high hopes. The female server was miserable and merely forced a smile. The food was average "ok" but would rather the higher quality of some of the less known little holes-in-the-wall. If the location is convenient, it's fine. But don't drive out to dine here.