“Best Japanese in town”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Nippon is my favorite Japanese restaurant in Houston. The food is delicious and varied. Try the restaurant's speciality rolls, the udon soup if you're on a budget and the magnificent Kakuni !
I must say the service is not always great, but the food is well worth it.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Try their array of soups - soooo good especially when it's cold outside! Wonderful sushi too and it's reasonably priced for the area. Nice cozy atmosphere

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Really my rating is 3.5 (4 for food/value and 3 for service) - Been here several times, and has been my go to for Japanese food when in Houston. We come here for lunch and prices are reasonable ($8-$11) based on quality and portion size. The ramen is good and the bentos (favorites are ones that include tempura, sautéed vegetables, or salmon - the chicken teriyaki was a bit tough on our last visit), and the beef sukiyaki are excellent.

The restaurant appears to be a mom & pop place. However, the warmth and service of a family run business, is not prevalent, IMO. For example, there isn't really a greeting or welcoming when you arrive, it's more like, how many? We asked the Japanese lady/likely the owner, who was taking our order about more information on the sautéed vegetables, a bento box option, and her response was, they're sautéed vegetables. We just kind of looked at her for more, the type of veggies, teriyaki or shoyu sauce, nope nothing. She said you not ready to order, i'll come back. Kinda funny. We ordered it anyway. It was good, a mix of fresh veggies w/ a few canned (water chestnuts and baby corn) sautéed in a light soy marinade (likely).

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Whether for lunch or dinner, Nippon offers a wide range of choices in an enjoyable dining atmosphere. I love this place and eat here often. Service is wonderful and food is, well, just great. Eat here.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

I live in Japan for 2 years, and because of that I'm a bit of a sushi and Japanese food snob. I had a wonderful meal at Nippon. I went for sushi, but when I saw they had sukiyaki, I had to try it. I haven't had good sukiyaki since living there, and I was not disappointed. It was wonderful. I splurged and had sushi also, which was fresh and tasty. They have a good selection of traditional sushi, and also some non-traditional Texas-fusion type sushi. It is a small restaurant, but when I went on a Friday night at 8:45, was only about 1/3 full. At least half of those patrons were Asian, however, which is always a good sign. Service was friendly and fast. The picture of the menu on the reviews is of the sushi menu only. They also have a full Japanese menu.