“Excellent!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Wanting a couple of good rolls, I searched reviews and found this place highly rated. It was fantastic! The restaurant is very nice, the service was very good and the food was excellent. We had a crunch roll and a tiger roll. Both were fantastic. They even give a complimentary appetizer and scoop of ice cream. We will definitely go back!

Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Good sushi and surimi. Good service. I mostly appreciated the salmon, very fresh. Also the urchins were interesting. But if you over order it is easy to break the 3 digits per person.

1  Thank Maravalj
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Having lived most of my life in San Francisco, where we have an abundance of excellent sushi restaurants, not to mention other GREAT restaurants in Japan Town, I was disappointed with the quality of some of the food items. Additionally, anything deep fried, e.g. tempura, was poorly done (heavy and greasy...so much so that a couple of hours later you still feel it in your stomach). The Oyako Don was very good (chicken and vegetables over rice, with a little broth). The Tempura Don was mediocre. Too many noodles, the broth tasted like regular swanson's beef broth, and the tempura crust was not light....but heavy. It didn't seem like they used the standard tempura flour. Additionally, the Unagi, one of my favorites was clearly over cooked as the skin was chewy. The Maguro was actually quite good. I ordered a spider roll as well as I love the soft shell crab. Again, due to the batter they used on the soft shell crab, it was actually quite poor. Their dim sum was also mediocre.

The service staff were very nice and attentive. I was surprised that hot green tea actually cost extra ($2.25 for one cup)! A pot of hot tea is standard at any Japanese restaurant in San Francisco....more common than water!

They do offer some complimentary appetizers and ice cream which was a nice treat, but I would rather have had better quality of food.

1  Thank CreateSF
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This place is my favorite sushi place in the city and I have tried most of them. I have been coming here since the beginning and have witnessed three remodels. The most recent was just finished a short time ago and it really made the place upscale. I think they mainly did this because of the "new place" that just opened across the street.
I can honestly say that I believe this is the freshest sushi that I have experienced in Houston. The prices are inline with most of the other higher end sushi restaurants... not cheap and certainly not overpriced either.
As mentioned in other reviews the complimentary appetizers and ice creams desserts are a nice compliment that the owner adds to every meal.

1  Thank Montecore1
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Go at least every 2-3 months.Nice little restaurant in the Montrose area.Younger crowd.Good food.Anything Sushi with very good quality.Service very good.One of our favorites.