“Tradition can be good.”

Pappas Bros. Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Pappas Bros. Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 8,399 Restaurants in Houston
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between Chimney Rock & Fountain View
Reviewed March 12, 2014

While we seek the new and like the modern, it is simply great to come "home" to a place like Pappas Bros. A no excuse great place to eat steak, probably my number one choice in the world. One can argue over the health benefits of the excellent Au Gratin Potatoes or the butter on the steak, but one can't argue over the stress reducing effects of their extraordinary wine list.
Service was excellent and personal. A small thing that made me happy was that the tomatoe salad I had as starter wasn't cooled down to where all flavors disappear.
Please don't change, I plan to come back for many years.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,624)

Reviewed March 11, 2014

The steaks here are excellent (although maybe cooked in a bit too much butter), as are the king crap legs which were in season when we visited. Our asparagus (nice thick stemmed but not at all tough and stringy) and steak fries sides were also very good.

However, it's a pretty formal place (we were passing and decided to stop off ad-hoc with our two little girls) and we felt a little under dressed, but we arrived early (around 5 pm) so it wasn't busy and they accommodated us just fine.

Whether the food warrants the 50% markup over the more main stream steak restaurants, I'm not convinced and the service was a bit too polished for my liking. The wine was excellent, but again, you pay for it so I would expect it to be.

I wouldn't go out of my way to return to this place, but I'd happily eat here again if circumstance led me here.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

It was worth the last minute decision to try Pappas. Very tender steak & asparagus was cooked to perfection. Waiters were nice even though my husband who had 3 strokes demand to know what was for desert before I was done eating. It was pricey but worth it. I couldn't take a group but plan to return on our monthly anniversary.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

The quality of beef and service at Pappas Bros. is first rate. In Houston, this is my first choice for a steak house. They provide a quiet, intimate atmosphere that's much different than a chain restaurant.

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

This place is flawless every time we go, from the valet to the restroom attendant all is top notch. Lobster Mac and cheese is the best I have ever had all over the world. Comfort meets class. Family style side dishes and phenomenol meat grades top this off as the best in Houston.