“A good local family diner”
Review of Sam's Deli-Diner

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sam's Deli-Diner
Ranked #1,709 of 8,552 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Deli
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I liked Sam's better than I expected. Although the name is Sam's Deli-Diner, it is much more of a diner than a deli. Sure, they do have ham, beef and turkey sandwiches, but the rest of the menu is more like a diner. The menu includes about a dozen types of hamburgers, plus hot dogs, corn dogs, salads, etc. They also have a dozen types of Blue Bell ice cream that they can make into shakes. They have a limited breakfast menu they server from 7:30 to 10:30.

The Set-up: Sam's is located at the corner of a retail center at Kirkwood and I-10. From the outside it does not look like much. This is why I only recently started stopping in. I had driven by for years, but never had been drawn in. Inside, the decor is 50's - 60's diner in red and white. I think it looks good. There is also counter seating where you can watch your food cook.

The food: Like the decor the food is what you might find in a 50's - 60's diner. They have may burgers to chose from. Traditional cheese burgers to turkey burgers, hickery burgers and a few more exotic combinations. All the beef burgers are made from 1/3 pound patties. Based on their uneven shape I think that they may be hand formed in house rather than from frozen hocky pucks. I had a standard traditional burger that came on a toasted bun with all the traditional fixings. It was better than you will get at a chain restaurant. My only complaint is that it was "well done" so that was dry and there was zero juice factor. In another trip I had the chili-dog. This was great and better than say..Coney Island. The chili was tasty with lots of meat and the hot dog was also tasty. I had the standard french fries which come frozen in a bag to the restaurant as aposed to cut in house. That's fine by me. The first time I came they were perfectly cooked to a golden brown. The second time they were a bit under cooked.

I think Sam's in a very good family diner and will be back.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

The good: expansive menu, prompt friendly service
The Bad: the fries and onion rings come frozen out of a bag. I did not see where the burger patties came from, but they certainly tasted like they had been preformed and frozen. Not much flavor, no juicy ooze, just a grey flat tasting burger patty.

I have a hard time understanding why this place is so popular. There are much better burgers nearby.

1  Thank jricks15
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I've been there couple times this week and I love the relax feeling of the place in what appears to be a family business. Restrooms could use a little more cleaning...

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Sam's Deli Dinner is the place! This is the real deal kind of place. You can sit at the counter and watch the cook or sit at a table to dine. Great people watching with lots of high schoolers and young families! They even have healthy turkey burgers, but go for the jalapeno burger and long branch fries...top it off with a shake.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I went here for lunch and we both enjoyed it. This is a no frills place that has great burgers and shakes. You walk in and place your order at the counter. After receiving your ticket, you go find a table and wait for your number to be called. Prices are very reasonable for the amount of food you receive. I think for 2 burgers, 2 fries and 2 shakes it was like $17.

The burgers are cooked great and fries as well. I thoroughly enjoyed the burger and it reminds me of a good home style burger. The shakes are what steal the show though. All their shakes are made with Blue Bell ice cream and it reflects in the taste. I chose the banana nut shake and my wife had the cookies and cream. Both shakes were terrific with my fave being the banana. I would definitely get that one again on next visit. If you want a good cheap meal, please give this place a try. You will enjoy it and don't forget to make sure and order a shake.