“Terrible”
Review of TA HUA Chinese Restaurant - CLOSED

TA HUA Chinese Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Terrible”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I had Vietnamese spring roll, beaf sticks, fried rice and had them to go. Only edible food was the spring roll but not very good one. The beaf sticks were very bitter. I don't know what kind of spice was. I threw away. The rice were not fully cooked for fried rice. I wouldn't not go there again.

Visited August 2013

Houston, Texas, United States
“The death of a dumpling...”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I’m sad to report the death of my second favorite dumpling! When we lived in West Houston, we loved to frequent Ta Hua on Memorial for steamed veggie dumplings and house lo mein. Alas, the family sold the restaurant several months ago and after 3 visits to the restaurant under current management, I’m sorry to say that the Ta Hua of old is dead. The dumplings of old were tender shredded cabbage covered with a delicate wrapper that were the perfect receptacle for the green chile and ginger relishes with a splash of vinegar. Now the wrappers are thick and taste of reheated dumplings. They used to be steamed the traditional way, over cabbage leaves, but now are steamed over white fabric. As for the condiments on the table, don’t forget to ask for the vinegar because it is no longer presented with the dumplings. The house lo mein used to be filled with big fresh shrimp, smoky-tasting roasted pork and big hunks of tender chicken. Now the shrimp are tiny and taste of the freezer and the smoky taste of the pork is no more. I tried the hot and sour soup which had no bite until I added the vinegar that I had to run down from the hostess. The menu used to be filled with wonderful Vietnamese dishes but now has only Americanized Chinese. The customer at the next table asked for coffee and was told that they don’t make coffee anymore, even though it is on the menu. So sad....I’m heartbroken for the loss of good dumplings in West Houston! I even left them a glowing review in 2011 under my older user name, peggys_antiques.

• Visited October 2012
Houston, Texas
“Hidden gem in Memorial area”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Chinese and Vietnamese cuisine. Not much to look at on the outside, but beautiful on the inside. We were surprised at the decor and fish tanks inside. I felt underdressed just walking in. The service was well above par and the waiter was very helpful in answering whatever questions were asked about the meal. The food is somewhat pricey, but the quality and quantity make up for the price. On second thought, we fed 2 adults, a 15 year old and a 6 year old for less than $50, so the value is actually pretty good! Ta Hua offers free delivery within 3 miles with a $15 minimum order. They also cater. While we didn't partake this time, they also have a full bar. We ate at approximately 16:00 (4:00 p.m.) on Saturday and we had the restaurant mostly to ourselves until another couple came in.

Houston, Texas
“Stopped eating Ta Hua after getting a toe nail in my food...really.”
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Loved this place until I got a toe nail in my take out food. Got nothing but hunched shoulders from the manager, Houston Health Dept. B4-U-Eat would not publish my "encounter". It was disgusting and as far as I know, was NEVER addressed. Be warned. I call this place Toe Hua now. I would not write this if it did not happen.

• Visited December 2011
Houston, Texas
“Wish I still lived close to the restaurant!”
Reviewed March 11, 2011

I'm really surprised at the one bad review of this restaurant. We used to live close by and ate there once a week. Now I'm thrilled when I have an appointment with my vet who is right across the street. This allows me to call in an order for THE BEST STEAMED VEGGIE DUMPLINGS and HOUSE LO MEIN and run over to pick it up on my way home. Forget ordering Chinese....this is a great Vietnamese restaurant (but they still have the best lo mein). The steamed vegetable dumplings are big and full of good veggies. They come with make it yourself dipping sauce of goodies including minced ginger, minced jalepeno, rice wine vinegar and peanut oil. These are the best in Houston. The House Special lo mein includes great sliced pork that infuses the dish with a smoky flavor. My only wish would be that they add more veggies to the dish. But, stray from the Chinese food that is familiar and order some of their Vietnamese specialities. Go on, take the plunge! You'll be happy you did. If you really need Chinese food, go somewhere that has a yucky buffet for super cheap and quit complaining! If you are in West Houston, don't miss this restaurant!

• Visited February 2011