“Great Steak, Great Price”

Taste of Texas Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 8,243 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Steak, Great Price”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Visiting the US and Texas for the first time in my life, my friend informed me this was the best place in Houston to go for steak, and I didn't feel let down!

Firstly, we got a great waitress who explained everything and made us feel very welcome. Despite being a huge restaurant (by British standards at least), the table still felt private enough and conversation was easily heard. Upon choosing what we wanted, we were invited into the kitchen to choose our steaks. It was great being able to select my own 24oz ribeye "Cowboy" steak. The salad bar was great, and the steak came with a free side. The steak itself was super. Cooked to a perfect medium, it was nice a pink in the middle with just a bit of blood, and the fat melted in my mouth. I mopped the whole thing up and left very satisfied.

As an additional bonus, the waitress gave me a bandana and took a photo wearing that and a cowboy hat. This was because I was a foreign visitor, and it really made the night feel extra special. It was another great example of fantastic American service and one of the reasons I'll return to Texas someday in the future.

• Visited October 2013

San Francisco, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing !”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We each enjoyed one of the most tender, juicy and flavorful filets we've ever had, in a beautiful,
Texan environment marked by attentive, friendly service. I loved it.

Visited September 2013
Houston, Texas
“Sometimes not so great...”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We took Seattle friends here because it had been a great place to take out of towners in the past. But although the building and decor still has that over the top Texas charm, the food and service was quite a let down. Steaks average, service slow...maybe due to a busy weekend night? Because the place was certainly loud. Wine list on the e-tablet was fun and so we played with it while waiting on the server.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank TravelerTrish75
Spring Branch, Texas
“A great place, but pricey. Go on a weekday.”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have been here many times. It's a great place when you're on an expense account. A good place to take out of town business clents, particularly if they are from out of the country. The Texas ambiance is thick, as are the steaks. You order by the ounce, but I think the minimum is 10 oz which is a little large for some appetites. I can't remember if their main cut is ribeye or a NY strip. They have other steaks also like filets etc.
Awesome salad bar with a variety of baked rolls, Jalapeno cornbread is always a big hit. Not too spicey and those out of towners can brag back home about eating jalapenos.
Since Taste of Texas has opened there has been a plethora of other high end steak places open, but this is local and part of the "old Guard". Not at all stuffy or pretentious.

Gets very crowded on the weekends so if you make it on a week night you will be better off.

Has an extensive wine list, but they embrace the old philosophy of marking up the wine 200% as compared some newer places like Reef that are satisfied with 100% markup.

The owner, Edd Hendee, is politically conservative and is a big Rush Limbuagh/Dan Patrick fan but this not really enter into the restaraunt ops.

• Visited December 2012
Houston, Texas
“Very Texan”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Have been here several times and the food is always very good. It's a great place to take visitors from out of state as it has a very Texan feel and visitors are made to feel welcome. The steaks are excellent but if you are not a meat eater I would stay away as the seafood options are not of the same quality.

• Visited May 2013