“Welcome to Texas”

Taste of Texas Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 8,434 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Well if you want a representative restaurant for Texas then this is the place. I was a guest at Tatse of Texas and it was memorable let me tell you. If it's your first visit then you are presented with a red bandana. So here I am looking at one or two other marked virgin's of the restaurant wondering what am I in store for? Steak like you have never seen before. Big? Well they just cut the head and tail off!!! If you ask for a rare to medium, you "Get" a rare to medium. Here in the UK we think a good steak is a half inch piece of beef that you pay a fortune for. At the Taste of Texas you get a real steak, minimum an inch plus. It's cooked and presented to perfection. It's got to be a top ten visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,938)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We went with two of our sons, 4 and 6 . Our 4 year old really enjoyed the junior steak. It is quite a big steak and therefore older children can definitely be satisfied by it. I ordered the centre fillet which is just the right size and was done exactly as I wanted. There is a salad bar to go with it but this is not extensive but adequate. If you like big steaks you can make your own selection. Definitly good value for your money . They dont take reservations so time it right as we waited over 30mins to get a table on a Friday night at arouind 730pm.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This place is great, i had the best stake i ever had, the staff is the best as well. Since it was our first time there, they provided us with cowboy hats and bandana and took pictures for us.
The food was all great. When in Texas (Houston) you must try it.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was my first time to Houston, I got brought here by some family friends, and I am so happy I did. Was one of the best steaks I've had. I had the 24ounce Cowboy Steak.
The waiter takes you back into the kitchen and you personally pick the steak which you want from a wide selection.
There is a salad bar available while you wait for your food to come. The restaurant was very busy and had a good atmosphere, the staff were very helpful and kind.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have been returning to this place after first visit in 1994. The general manager and staff were utmostly attentive and friendly and made unforgettable evening for me and my wife.
This is probably the best restaurant I ever been in my life - if to take together everything from atmosphere, cuisine, staff and overall impression.
Staff was VERY personal and steaks were just the BEST!!! This place is worth driving to it thru traffic if you happen to be in Houston or around it - we drove over 1 hour to enjoy it.
Really overcrowded Friday night so if reservations are allowed this would be a good idea (I am not sure if reservations are accepted).
A must to visit!
Special thanks to Mary Whittington and the whole team! Desserts were outstanding too!