“Awesome steaks”

Taste of Texas Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 8,434 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was my first time to Houston, I got brought here by some family friends, and I am so happy I did. Was one of the best steaks I've had. I had the 24ounce Cowboy Steak.
The waiter takes you back into the kitchen and you personally pick the steak which you want from a wide selection.
There is a salad bar available while you wait for your food to come. The restaurant was very busy and had a good atmosphere, the staff were very helpful and kind.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,938)

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have been returning to this place after first visit in 1994. The general manager and staff were utmostly attentive and friendly and made unforgettable evening for me and my wife.
This is probably the best restaurant I ever been in my life - if to take together everything from atmosphere, cuisine, staff and overall impression.
Staff was VERY personal and steaks were just the BEST!!! This place is worth driving to it thru traffic if you happen to be in Houston or around it - we drove over 1 hour to enjoy it.
Really overcrowded Friday night so if reservations are allowed this would be a good idea (I am not sure if reservations are accepted).
A must to visit!
Special thanks to Mary Whittington and the whole team! Desserts were outstanding too!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Taste of Texas is resting on its laurels and trading off its profile. I predict it wont be able to do that much longer. We turned up at 530 and despite the fact that the place is awash with waiters that outnumbered diners two to one, I still had to get up and get someone to take a drinks order. And the waiter we had assigned thereafter, while extremely pleasant, was just awol the whole evening. I had to seek serving assistance a further two times from his colleagues that evening.

Let us turn to the food - well it's just so expensive. I have no issue with expense per se but it has to be somewhat relative to offings served up. Sophisticated french cuisine for example comes at a price and I'm ok with that. But this is just a steak. 36 bucks for a teeny 6oz filet for example. I got the ribeye and I can tell you this: the prime ribeyes that i buy at HEB and grill myself on the bbq are way way better and that shouldn't be the case. The fries were very poor and the sides are not inexpensive either. My son's burger was just appalling - overcooked and tasteless. The cost is simply irreconcilable with the taste of the food and the overall dining experience.

We first went to ToT in 2006 and it was good. It has steadily declined and the wife and decided to give it another go after our last immemorable visit. Well, that's it. Never ever again.

1  Thank AJWopinions
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went to Taste of Texas several years ago for a business meal. Told myself (and my wife) if we were ever in Houston together I would take her there. Was in Houston on business and my wife was with me, so we lunched at ToT. Still had to wait at lunch time which is normal for evenings too. While you wait they offer complimentary popcorn, tortilla chips, soda's and ice tea. One of ToT's distinctives is they age their own Angus beef. Tender does not describe the steak we had the other day. The 20oz cut-to-order ribeye we shared could be cut with a fork it was so tender. They start you off with a salad bar that is very well stocked and well maintained with fresh everything. I loved the blue cheese and fresh baked rolls.on the bar. We were properly stuffed and there was no room for their amazing deserts. Chuck & Steve still hitting home runs at Taste of Texas.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

My first trip to Texas and this place was added bonus. Impromptu after work dinner on my first night at this place set the bar high. The salad bar was excellent and the steak was fabulous. So tasty and juicy. Being used to stingey UK steak sizes I order a steak that was far too big but gave it my best shot. The place also had a great atmosphere with loads of Texan artefacts.