“Best in Houston” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taste of Texas Restaurant

Taste of Texas Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 8,115 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Houston
“Best in Houston”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

What steakhouse do you know in Houston has a 2 hour wait? If you don't get there early enough there is a long line to get into this restaurant. This restaurant has the best value for what you get. You can't beat it. With each steak, you get complimentary use of the salad bar (which by the way is the best salad bar I've ever had). They're fresh and their cilantro dressing is amazing. I've spent alot of money at high-end steakhouses and this is the only place that is always consistent and gives me what I paid for.

I recommend getting either the filet with the butter garlic sauce, prime rib and crabcakes.

• Visited May 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
“Great Food & Amazing Service with a Personal Touch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

The prime rib is fantastic and the service is some of the best I have experienced. The manager (Norm) gave me his card and asked that I say hi the next time I come in (and I felt he meant it.) If you are looking for a steakhouse in West Houston look no further.

• Visited June 2011
Houston
“Awesome salad bar and cowboy boot dessert!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

We have been to this restaurant numerous times with family. It's setup like a huge Texas cabin - very rustic and cozy. The service is excellent. The salad bar is wonderful - very unique ingredients rather than just carrots, corn, peas, etc. All the plates are cold and all the veggies are fresh! They also have delicious jalapeno stuffed shrimp. By the time we have salads and appetizers we usually don't even order steaks. Their dessert (not on the menu I don't think) served in a glass cowboy boot you can take home is delicious!! (It does have alcohol in it.) Overall this place is a treat and you can keep the costs down by having soup/salad and dessert and skipping the steak.

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank texastravelers0
San Antonio, Texas
“Great steak and side dishes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

This is a great steakhouse on its own, but the side dishes are spectacular. I had a filet - it was perfectly cooked and fork-tender. The atmosphere is fun, with many fascinating bits of Texas memorabilia.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank Joan W
Houston, Texas
“Not what I expected”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

This is not a good place to eat.

First of all, the people at Taste of Texas are not honest! Before visiting, I called and spoke to "Gracie" who related that the restaurant various types of bread including whole wheat, sourdough, and specialty varieties. She also offered that a "first-timer" like me would get either a complementary dessert or bandana. Well, when I got there, the reality was quite different. There was no variety of bread and I was offered no complementary dessert or bandana.

I've eaten at many places in different parts of the world and can only assume the great reviews for this restaurant are given by people who don't have the capacity to objectively compare. Taste of Texas is absolutely nothing special. The salad bar, so well-spoken of, doesn't come near to many, many others. Right in Houston, in fact, one has to look no further than Fogo De Chao to see what I mean. I challenge the reviewers to just walk into Fogo De Chao and look at the salad bar. Then, let me know if you really think Taste of Texas' is anything other than anemic!

Regarding the steak. Do you really think their steak is good, or was it the wine you were drinking? Taste of Texas steaks are no better than low-to-mid level fare. Time would fail me to write how much better Truluck's Vic & Anthony's, Papa's, Ruth's Chris, Flemings and Shula's steaks are than at Taste of Texas. It's embarrassing even mentioning Taste of Texas in the same article with those excellent restaurants.. WAKE UP and SMELL the kitchen grease, people!

On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate this restaurant's food as a "4", and that, dear people, if being generous. Think it's a good thing to premium prices for that level of food? I think not! The steak is closer to I-HOP level people!

Service is about what one would expect at a really great restaurant where the food is actually worth the wait. Not the case, here.

Now, back to the honesty, issue. I actually asked why I was not offered what I saw other visitors getting (the dessert or coveted bandana), I was told that the offer (obviously being provided to nearby European visitors that were there) was for international visitors, only, and not first-timers. When I related that I am an international visitor, I was referred to a manager who was very rude. He made it obvious that they didn't give a flip about my concerns, and that Filipinos are not treated with the same regard. I did take not, by the way, that "people of color" we all being seated in the same little corner, and that their tables were visited far less often than others. If this is a "Taste of Texas" then that state has some waking up to do. This visit represents one of my most disappointing restaurant visits, ever. It failed on almost all fronts. They fail in honesty, food quality and taste, as well as cordiality. Friends tell me that I should not be surprised at their racism since they seem to be living in their own world at the restaurant. Wish I would have known that before going there!

I challenge you to try any of the restaurants I mentioned, above, and tell me if my conclusion isn't correct: One star for Taste of Texas is too generous.

• Visited June 2011