“yum!”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Austin, Texas
“yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I am a Thai food fanatic, and I have to say this is in my top 5 thai restaurants anywhere. I love spicy food and always get Thai Hot, but this is the one restaurant I cant handle it at. Maybe Medium for Papaya Salad (awesome here) and Hot on other dishes equates to normal Thai Hot. Even hotter than what I had in Bangkok. Absolutely authentic and delicious though!

• Visited April 2013

• Korean first
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I had lunch there recently with the family. It was last Friday, Good Friday!

We got there around 11:30am and were promptly seated. The fans were blowing 100mph and the misses was freezing. I asked them to turn it down and they were. The table of 10 at the next table with coats and jackets on should have thanked me.

We ordered Thai tea and water for the kids.
For appetizers, we ordered:
- seafood hot & sour (great - lots of seafood & rich broth). Oddly enough, no tom yum kha.
- papaya salad (great as well - ordered mild but still spicy)
For entrees: everything was tasty and great!
- combination pad thai (really good)
- green chicken curry
- crab fried rice (big pieces of crab)

Service was really good. Waitress gave us great advice and food came promptly. Usually weekday lunches are super packed at Thai Gourmet so the wait for a table and table service can be slow. It is not the best neighborhood in Houston but nothing to fear.

For the money, it is right on the spot. Great food, good service, average prices. Will definitely be back.

• Visited March 2013
Houston, Texas
“Very sketchy area, but spectacular Thai food!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

This restaurant has been recommended to us by friends. It is in a VERY sketchy area of town, but please do not let that discourage you. We arrived at 8:20pm on a Saturday, and the place was PACKED (which is extremely unusual at this time of night as Houston is the city that sleeps -- as opposed to NY which is the city that never sleeps). We had to wait 45 minutes for a table....again, do not let that discourage you. But the wait (and the iffy area of town) was well worth it, as the food was simply wonderful....very authentic and terrific bold flavors. We stated with the hot and milky soup....it sounds not so good but it is now one of my favorite soups anywhere. The sweet coconut milk combines with the tart lime flavor, the heat from the spices and the chicken....all I can say is YUM! We also ordered the fish cakes and the chicken satay for appetizers. I didn't like the texture of the fish cakes but others at my table loved them. For our main courses, we ordered the crispy duck...not spicy at all with very crispy skin on the duck and the meat was moist and very tasty. I am not normally a duck fan because of the fattiness of the meat, but this was excellent. We had a spicy chicken in peanut curry and one of the beef options and pad thai. The pad thai was simply the best I have ever had....was pretty spicy even at medium heat. And for desert, we had the coconut ice cream with the sticky rice and fried bananas and fresh mango...one dish shared by the 4 of us. The entire bill came to $115, including tip, for 4 people.....a bargain considering the amount of food we consumed (and brought home). Zagat gives this place a food rating of 27 out of 30 (and an ambiance rating of 14...both are fair). Try this place....you will be happy that you did.

• Visited March 2013
Belleair Beach, Florida
“Great Thai food that has apparently stood the test of time and the area's economics.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

The area this restaurant resides is fairly run down and blighted. Not bad in the sense it looks dumpy, just you'll see an older section of Houston with many empty lots & buildings where restaurants and businesses used to be. Clearly this was once a "happening" part of town but no more. In fact the roads to get there needed a great deal of work as there were lots of pot holes.

Putting that aside you come to the restaurant entrance only to see they've taken over the entire front store space with gardens, bamboo, statues, and fish which remind you this place is anything but empty.

The inside is interesting with a large chalk mural on the wall and many Thai & other Asian pieces adorning the restaurant. The ceiling was an exposed area of many pipes & cables, etc but all were painted black or covering in black wrap of some kind.

The tables were simple and consisted of tables & chairs; no booths.

I know it seems I spend a great deal talking about the way it looked and the area but I do so because i went on Valentines day. So if you want something really special "all the way around", my intent here is to inform you that ambiance is lacking; should that be one of your dining goals.

The service was good with a hearty greeting by the hostess.

I had the fresh spring roll appetizer which consisted of a heavily rolled rice paper sushi-like roll with your usual basil, shrimp, rice, and some other vegetables. Served with a peanut sauce. Not bad but not excellent.

My date had the vegetarian curry dish and I asked if they could make the panang beef a panang duck (my favorite) and sure enough, they said yes.

Both her dish and mine were absolutely fantastic! She ordered "hot" and I "medium" as anyone knows this distinction can ruin your meal at a Thai restaurant if you're not careful. Mine was spicy enough and hers (I tried it) was great to her but way too hot for me. So be aware, this is a "true" Thai style restaurant. But dont worry, the waiter, who was very pleasant, explained that distinction to my date just to make sure she really wanted it. Your choices for the record are "Mild", "Medium", "Hot", and "Thai Hot".

Our main dishes were excellent. The only complaint I had, and its becoming a trend in many Thai restaurants, is that they served too small a portion of rice and asking for more is well......extra (charged as a side). Odds are you'll need more to finish your meal.

All in all, it was a very good thai restaurant and I would recommend it as well as go back to try more of the menu.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank insider64
“Wow, Very, Very Good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

A friend of mine has been raving about this place for years. Hubs & I, along with some friends, finally got around to eating here a couple of weekends ago. Food was phenomenal, what can I say? We had a little bit of everything- chicken satay, pad thai, noodle dish, curry, duck... Not a bad bite to be had! The gentleman who took our drink order didn't seem to quite understand our questions (about the wines), but it worked out okay... Our waitress, when we ordered, kept saying, "medium, VERY SPICY" & raising her eyebrows at us. Two friends got scared & opted for the mild, but Hubs & I stuck w/ Medium (our friend, who trains next door, knows the owners, & eats there often- assured us that we would like it- & he was right)... It was hot, but in a very good way!!!

Portions were also huge, as all of us took home a box of leftovers (rare for the guys in our group)... And those leftovers were just as good, if not better, the next day!

Prices were very reasonable for the amount of food presented... I sadly live nowhere near TG, but will return when I can. This is the kind of place that you wish to have in your neighborhood... Def give it a Try!!!

1 Thank cdh713