“Barbeque to die for.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Thelma's Bar B Que - CLOSED

Cuisines: Barbecue, American
Dining options: Seating
Neighborhood: Downtown
Houston, Texas
“Barbeque to die for.....”
Reviewed June 3, 2009

I've not been to the old location on Live Oak St. but after reading reviews online about Barbeque in Houston Texas, I found out that Thelma's BBQ is one of the most popular of BBQ spots in Houston. I live in midtown so the trip to Thelma's was no more than 10 minutes from me. Parking wasn't a problem and the establishment literally sits at the corner. You get out of the car and the first thing you smell is the aroma of hickory smoked barbeque. You walk through the door, and yes it is a small place, Maybe seats about 20-30 people. but I came after the lunch crowd so everything was smooth sailing. There is one area where you place and pay for the order , then someone from the kitchen comes out, calls out your number and hands you your order. I personally ordered the Rib Dinner with 2 sides, potato salad, and cabbage. The cabbage was cooked just the way I like it. not too hard but soft enough for it to melt in your mouth. The potato salad may have been a recipe that was handed down, A little too bland for my taste. However, the ribs are to die for!!! The ribs had a wonderful aroma, with a nice helping of barbeque sauce, somewhat of a sweet hickory flavor which complimented the Ribs. The meat falls of the bone once you sink your teeth into it. Really nice tender texture of meat and the taste is out of this world. Need I say more? Thank you Thelma for opening my eyes and pallet to your great barbeque.

Houston,Tx
“Not worth the fame”
Reviewed May 4, 2008

We live in Houston and are big BBQ lovers. Texas BBQ prepares the BBQ with a simple rub and no sauce before baking. Great BBQ will fall off the bone and you dont need a knife or sauce.

When family came to town, we decided to try Thelma’s because it was mentioned on a PBS tv show. Finding the place was fine once we printed out a map. Entering the restaurant was a different story. The obvious open door turned out to be the kitchen and we were given unfriendly looks and told to use the other door. When we were ordering, the person at the counter was also very rude and rushed us to place our order. We were then told to sit down and our food would be delivered to us.

After ten minutes and nothing showed up, I went back to the counter and asked about the food. I was told to sit back down and the food would come. This is very strange since I had had BBQ all over the country and have never had to wait. What are they going to do? start smoking when I order it? ;)

Well we think that is what they did since it took another hour for our food to come out. When it did, they were quick to pour their sweet sauce all over everything. The meat was very tough and it might have been smoked for only an hour.

There is no excuse for this behavior. if they were out of meat, they should have told us. The only excuse I can think of is they do not like non-regular customers

Better Bets are H*uston BBQ Company, Luling C*ity BBQ

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“along with Goode - best...”
Reviewed December 27, 2007

along with Goode - best bbq

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I can put up with the "kitch" of the place, but the BBQ is better at Pizzatolas and Goode Co. and much better...”
Reviewed December 13, 2007

I can put up with the "kitch" of the place, but the BBQ is better at Pizzatolas and Goode Co. and much better at Luling City BBQ

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“If you can take the lines...then the food i worth the wait!”
Reviewed December 10, 2007

If you can take the lines...then the food i worth the wait!