“My favorite restaurant in Houston”
Review of Cafe Red Onion - CLOSED

Cafe Red Onion
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed January 3, 2011

When I go to Houston, I HAVE to go to Cafe Red Onion. Ok, so I won't say they have the best of every item in the world on their menu, but everything here is excellent. Their pineapple salsa is to DIE for, their queso is good too. The Chicken Brazil and Triple Chicken Quesadillas are my favorite. They put so many fresh ingredients and it soooo flavorful with the sauces they choose and the queso they pour over it. Seriously, I plan trips to Houston to visit this restaurant. It's FANTASTIC! And I've lived and visited all over the world, so I do have a very discriminating palette. If somebody doesnt like this place, they are either very picky eaters or maybe Cafe Red Onion just had a bad day (which I've never experienced). The atmosphere is great and the service I've had has been very attentive on every occasion.

Reviewed December 5, 2010

very solidly prepared meal - more than worth the price. Highly recommend

Reviewed April 20, 2010

My family and friends love Red Onion, there are several locations and the food and service is exceptional!

Reviewed March 27, 2010

We stopped in here on our first visit to Houston, fresh off the plane and hungry. When we drove up (midday on a Saturday), we were not sure about appearances since it was not crowded and in a non-descript strip mall. But the menu looked so good and the atmosphere inside was so pleasant (great latino music on the speakers), we decided to stay--one of the best decisions I've ever made! :) The late lunch was spectacular--presentation, taste, and freshness were of the quality you would expect for a very high price, but this was very reasonable. We met the chef, Rafael Galindo, at dessert, when he stopped by to ask how we enjoyed the meal. He is one of the most impressive, warm, and inspirational people I have ever met, and I would fly back to Houston just to eat at one of his three restaurants at the drop of a Venezuelan sombrero. :) Magnifico!

Reviewed July 24, 2009

The food is very unique. There are not too many places that serve plantains, but these are the best ever. Never had a bad meal nor bad service. It is about a 2 hour drive for us, but we make it as often as we can since we really enjoy the food. Usually go in the afternoon, but never have to wait.

1  Thank hotglass78