“Good food and great welcome”

Bayou City Seafood & Pasta
Ranked #352 of 8,243 Restaurants in Houston
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Good food and great welcome”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Just thought I'd share. Visited Houston for a week and stayed near the galleria. Had a bit of a drive around looking for something different. Decided to try Bayou. Good decision.

Food portions are huge, gumbo to start was full of crab and seafood and nicely spicy, and snapper special (small) was every fresh and tasty and much more than I could handle.

Very friendly staff, polite and friendly, but not in your face if you know what I mean. Really enjoyed it. I will be back, if I get to be in tx again.

• Visited October 2013

Houston, TX
“Drive by it everyday, who knew a great place to eat!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have driven by this place a million times. It is on my commute to work. When going on a business lunch and someone sugested it, I thought great a tacky dive. I was shocked. Typical restaurant ambiance, fantastic huge menu and the food was delicious! Hope to go back soon!

• Visited September 2013
Bordeaux, France
“Nice seafood restaurant”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Nice seafood restaurant (shrimp, crawfish, etc.) at a reasonable cost: $30 with beer and tips. Decoration ok, nice waiter.

• Visited August 2013
customer99
“Loved it!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

First time ever there and on a Friday night and was able to get in very easily. The food is great and the small size is very BIG. Our waiter was very friendly and attentive. I had the Pasta Apache without Chicken and it was fantastic. This is one of the first times I can recall actually seeing the crabmeat on a dish made with shrimp as well (usually you only see the shrimp). The food came out very hot and if I had one complaint is was that my stomach wasn't big enough. I certainly want to go back an try something else!

• Visited July 2013
“Second time lucky”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I recently received a gift card for this restaurant. We tried it on a Sunday but there was a twenty minute wait, so we left. It did however create the impression that this is a popular restaurant and some anticipation.
On Friday, we decided to try it again and we easily go a table around two. We had a cup of gumbo, boudin link, shrimp creole and the stuffed mushrooms. All were fine but the boudin was a little bland for my taste. I must say that I travel to Louisiana regularly and the boudin at Don's or Best Stop are both better in my opinion. The server never asked whether I wanted plain or spicy, so maybe there is only one option. I did not ask either, so I am partially to blame. The portion was adequate and enough as an appetizer.
My wife had the stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer and it was very tasty. Normally, stuffed mushrooms can be soggy but these were not and the flesh of the mushrooms were a good balance between tasty and firm.
I had the cup of gumbo and it was HUGE. I loved the texture and the taste. I asked for the rice on the side and that portion was big as well. There is a lot of seafood in the gumbo and every spoon contained at least one shrimp or piece of crab. Great.
The other main course was the shrimp creole and it was spicy and firm as well. The shrimp was cooked just right and although the sauce was hot, it added to the shrimpy taste and did not overpower.
With water, the check came to 39.48 excluding gratuity which is great value for money since we brought enough home for a second meal. Only the stuffed mushrooms did not make it home. They also serve a garlicky cheese bread with the meal that was a good compliment.
The service was fair although my consumption of water was faster than their service :-)
The server was friendly and knowledgeable, he was obviously proud of their food and it showed :-)
All in all, I think that it is a good place to go if you miss Louisiana but you might be a little disappointed in the boudin if you are a Cajun expert (and all Cajuns are :-) )

• Visited July 2013