“Bottom 10”
Review of Barbecue Inn

Barbecue Inn
Ranked #304 of 8,597 Restaurants in Houston
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I searched out BBQ Inn a couple years ago because they were listed among the Top 10 restaurants for fried chicken in Houston. Went there and their chicken was excellent and have gone back a few times since with the same result. Not so this time. Arrived lunch time with my lunch buddy and ordered their mixed fried chicken plate as usual. My friend ordered a hamburger and it was pretty good. My salad was excellent as usual: fresh iceberg lettuce, ripe red tomato wedges and creamy blue cheese dressing with tasty chunks of blue cheese. The fries were OK, but not great and the service was good. However I was there for the chicken. It was decidedly off. I asked the waitress if they had changed recipes and she said no, but took no initiative to investigate further.
The chicken had no crust, only smooth skin with a distinct salty taste. Probably should have complained, but was too engrossed in conversation with my friend. Only afterwards on my way home did I conclude, "This is the worse fried chicken I have ever had." Admittedly it was piping hot, but void of crust and good flavor. This place doesn't belong in the Top 10, they belong in the Bottom 10. After paying $18 with tip I wondered why should I pay over twice the price of Popeye's for chicken that is nowhere near as good. Anyone charging as much as BBQ Inn should get it right. Due to the price and the bad chicken, I will not be back. Two stars for the salad and my friend's hamburger.

Kingwood Bob

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A neighborhood staple for decades, there is a large variety of different food available. Definitely more than just barbeque. Very popular with locals. Feels like the a hometown diner. Plenty of food (just wish the fries the crispier).

Reviewed November 30, 2017 via mobile

Awesome people, and awesome food. I had the seafood platter, Wife had the chicken fried chicken and everything was great. Will definitely be back. Place has been here forever, we used to come here with my father over 20 years ago and it's still great.

David S, Owner at Barbecue Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2017

Thank you for the nice review! We are glad you dined with us again and look forward to you dining with us again soon!

Reviewed November 11, 2017 via mobile

Came here on a recommendation of great fried chicken and was very happy with a great plate of fried chicken. The crust was flaky and almost melt in your mouth with every crunchy bite. I️ personally prefer a bit of spice in the coating and this is lightly seasoned but delicious and moist. The fries were well crisped and fresh cut. The salad is nicely dressed and plentiful. The only down side was packaged crackers and a slice of white bread with the meal. Better bread would have made the experience exceptional. The service was friendly and attentive and very local in feeling.

David S, Owner at Barbecue Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2018

Glad you liked the chicken! We pride ourselves in the fact that we still prepare and fry our chicken the same way my Grandfather did in the 40's. Please come back soon!

Reviewed October 22, 2017 via mobile

This was our second visit to Barbecue Inn. I would describe the experiences as consistent, generous servings of food, and friendly service. The salads are fresh and come with generous portions of dressing. We have had chicken, catfish and fried oysters. Our favorite is the chicken. The restaurant has been around 50+ years...so obviously they have a good product. The waitresses wear uniforms.
Each time we visited, the restaurant was full, but primarily an older clientele. In other words, this underscores their consistent, generous servings and friendliness....their guests have been coming for 50+ years.

Thank you for dining with us! We appreciate your generous comments and hope you will dine with us again soon!