“Great Expectations Dashed”

Dining options: Reservations
Houston
“Great Expectations Dashed”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Guess it is true that all good things must come to an end. We visited Osteria Mazzantani for a Easter Dinner with family. I have to say that we had great expectations given the fabulous dinner we had there in November 2013. At that time, everything we ordered was tasty, very authentic tasting and so different from the usual Italian restaurant fare.

We had so enjoyed this dinner that we chose to make Mazzantini our restaurant for our special dinner on Easter Sunday. What a big disappointment. Food was mediocre at best. I had the whole fish "special" on rissoto. I found the rissoto very "al dente" - almost inedible. Since we were with a guest and family, I chose to just eat "around it" thinking it was perhaps just an aberration. At the next table, I heard another diner complain about the rissoto, that he couldn't eat it because it wasn't "properly cooked". The waiter told the customer that the chef said it was "supposed to be that way". Huh?
We tried the same ravioli appetizer (or similar ) to what we had in November. At that time, it was absolutely delicious. This time, it was dry, pasty and tasteless. Nothing comparable to what had previously been served. I've made better with grocery store packages.
Contrary to some of the reviews, our service, like before, was excellent.
I do agree that the prices are high but tolerable if the food was a treat like it was in November. Given the quality of our dinner, however, the prices are ridiculous.
We live in the area but most likely won't return. There are far better Italian restaurants nearby. Such a disappointment in Osteria after its very promising start last Fall. They must have had a guest chef to open the restaurant. They need to bring him/her back.

• Visited April 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Poor service ..food not good”
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Fortunate to travel to many cities around the world, so I know good Italian food. I so wanted a decent Italian meal in Houston. Food was salty and worse, service was terrible. Manager was not attentive and insincere. All around not worth your time.

1 Thank APFlyer
Houston, Texas
“Galleria Italian Goodness!”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Theirs is a great menu. The atmosphere is vibrant, centrally located in the new BBVA Compass Bank building. The décor is beautiful and service is impeccable! Antipastas are tasty, the salads are tasty and a variety of entrees.

Visited March 2014
Houston, Texas
“Disappointing food in a pleasant upscale locale”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

I have wanted this place to be my fav Italian spot given its billing as a hip new osteria with classic Italian fare; however, it has missed it's mark in so many ways. After 3 visits , I doubt I'll give it another chance. The food is uninspired with no depth of flavor. The portions are absurdly stingy and the prices equally offending. The wine prices in particular are so overpriced that they border on gauging a captive audience. Their Tomassi Amarone was well over 3 times retail. While they do have a nice selection of bitters, the take home feeling I get at this restaurant is that the evening is more about lining their coffers than it is about giving me quality food and a real Italian experience.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Steven M
Houston, Texas, United States
“Give it a try”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The 4 of us dined together Saturday night, sharing all courses. We started off with a sausage and lentil dish and mussels. The lentils were delicious, the pork sausage just ok. I'm not a mussels fan but enjoyed dipping my bread in the red sauce at the bottom of the bowl. Two pasta dishes followed, the garganelli and quail risotto which was perfectly cooked. We then shared the snapper, a side of brussel sprouts (amazing) and ?. We finished off with the carmel chocolate dessert - delicious. We received a great wine recommendation and service was pretty good, although we had to ask 3 times for more bread. In summary, the food is good and the ambiance nice but we all felt the prices were high. They wanted $60 for osso buco!

Visited January 2014