“First and last time”

Clay's Restaurant & Hall
Ranked #2,938 of 8,183 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Barbecue, American, Grill, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Our story starts in 1985....Clay's Restaurant was just a small Ma & Pa's place serving comfort food off the beaten track of Clay Road and Hwy 6. Owned and operated by Houstonian Damian Seaback who set out to build Clay's into a great family restaurant full of fun for kids of all ages. Word soon spread about Clay's award winning burgers, chicken fried steak and comfortable family atmosphere. To meet demand Damian had to expand, adding quaint old school houses nestled among the trees at the rear of the property for separate function spaces. Clay's continues to grow and change, adding new menu items and features to improve the quality and service for their customers and friends. One thing will never change, though, and that's the family fun values that are the cornerstone of Clay's Restaurant. It's as much fun for the kids as it is for you, so pack 'em up and bring 'em on over! Kick back, grab a burger and a cold one. Each year we sponsor several sports teams and the Future Farmers of America (FFA). We also continue to make donations to area schools & churches.
Houston, Texas, USA
“First and last time”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Decided to try this place for a late weekend lunch, since it was supposed to be similar to Willie's, but my girlfriend doesn't like Willie's. Big mistake! They have a pretty good menu for a counter-service/waitress hybrid weird type joint - sandwiches, burgers, and a couple of platters, along with beer, wine, margaritas, etc. We ordered the chips with queso & salsa, two cheeseburgers with fries, a side of fried okra, and a margarita. The burgers were incredibly bland, and the cheese so thin it practically disappeared. The patty was of such low quality that it crumbled apart and fell out of the bun. The fries were limp and unsalted, and the fried okra was so underdone it was mushy. The margarita was made with cheap tequila and tasted like some kind of medicinal compound. The service was fine, except one waitress who made a sassy comment to my girlfriend over refilling her drink.

But wait! There is a bright spot. The chips, salsa, and queso were actually pretty good. I'm pretty sure the queso and salsa were out of a can but they were both pretty good, and the chips were crisp and just the right thickness.

Would I go back? Probably not, unless a friend insisted and all I ordered was a Shiner Bock and chips.

• Visited February 2014

“Alright”
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

I like clays. My first time here was with a co worker and I found it charming. The staff is nice and pretty laid back. A lot of my co workers go here since we work not too far from there. My favorite dish is the chicken fried chicken and the chicken strips. I did have a bad experience one time when I found part of a brillo pad in my food. They were very apologetic, comped my food and also made me a fresh batch of food to go. Overall they are a good place but not a place I go all the time.

• Visited December 2013
Houston, Texas
“The Home of Nonexistent Service”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

A group including three former co-workers and myself was planned for last Saturday. We picked it because it was close to one of our group's workplace. Clay's had all the appearance of being a large facility with a "laid back" atmosphere. I arrived about 15 minutes after the rest of the guys and I ordered a BLT....a pretty simple order I thought. We were sitting outside chatting away and getting caught up on what had happened since we last met. I'll cut to the chase. We all ordered either a sandwich or a "fish basket" of some sort. The wait for the food seemed to go on forever. I went inside to ask when our orders would be ready (this was about *45* minutes after we ordered). Told the guys our food would be there shortly. It was another fifteen minutes before we got our order. One hour for a BLT? You have got to be kidding! Needless to say this was my first and last visit to Clay's. The food was non-remarkable and the "service" was really poor quality. The waitstaff was "cool" to all customers as we watched them. Sorry to be so negative but there is nothing positive to portray here, except that Clay's does have a large facility and some "party rooms" plus some outdoor attractions. You'll have to speed up the service though. It was not a "warm and fuzzy" experience.

• Visited November 2013
Houston, Texas
“Best Chicken Fried Steak in Houston”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have been to Clay's multiple times and have eaten different items offered on the menu. I always go back to their chicken fried steak. I have had multiple chicken fired steaks in my lifetime but they never compare to the one from Clay's. The steak is always tenderized to the point to where you could really cut it with a fork. The breading isn't to thin nor it is it to thick, I guess you could say it's just perfect. Their mac 'n cheese is pretty good as well as their fries. They offer a regular size or a large size, which the large is just two of the regular ones. Really the regular one will fill you up even if you think you're hungry. I got the large and really tried my best to finish both but I didn't and ended up making my self miserable. I would also recommend getting the burger if you aren't in the mood for a chicken fried steak.

• Visited November 2013
New Mexico
“Surprising Menu”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Clay's is a surprise...It's a family style restaurant with a petting zoo and pony rides on Saturdays. I was surprised at the variety of items that they had on their menu. Ordering takes place at the counter and they give you a number to take to your table. Waitstaff bring you your meal and make sure you have everything you need. Our waitress was polite and checked in on us regularly.

I ordered the grilled fish tacos and they were delicious. And, since I was celebrating my birthday, I allowed myself to enjoy a brownie a la mode! The chocolate was sinfully delightful.

I would definitely go to Clay's again and take family and friends.

• Visited August 2013