“Best Chicken Fried Steak in Houston”

Clay's Restaurant & Hall
Ranked #2,296 of 8,244 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Description: Our story starts in 1985....Clay's Restaurant was just a small Ma & Pa's place serving comfort food off the beaten track of Clay Road and Hwy 6. Owned and operated by Houstonian Damian Seaback who set out to build Clay's into a great family restaurant full of fun for kids of all ages. Word soon spread about Clay's award winning burgers, chicken fried steak and comfortable family atmosphere. To meet demand Damian had to expand, adding quaint old school houses nestled among the trees at the rear of the property for separate function spaces. Clay's continues to grow and change, adding new menu items and features to improve the quality and service for their customers and friends. One thing will never change, though, and that's the family fun values that are the cornerstone of Clay's Restaurant. It's as much fun for the kids as it is for you, so pack 'em up and bring 'em on over! Kick back, grab a burger and a cold one. Each year we sponsor several sports teams and the Future Farmers of America (FFA). We also continue to make donations to area schools & churches.
Houston, Texas
“Best Chicken Fried Steak in Houston”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have been to Clay's multiple times and have eaten different items offered on the menu. I always go back to their chicken fried steak. I have had multiple chicken fired steaks in my lifetime but they never compare to the one from Clay's. The steak is always tenderized to the point to where you could really cut it with a fork. The breading isn't to thin nor it is it to thick, I guess you could say it's just perfect. Their mac 'n cheese is pretty good as well as their fries. They offer a regular size or a large size, which the large is just two of the regular ones. Really the regular one will fill you up even if you think you're hungry. I got the large and really tried my best to finish both but I didn't and ended up making my self miserable. I would also recommend getting the burger if you aren't in the mood for a chicken fried steak.

• Visited November 2013

New Mexico
“Surprising Menu”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Clay's is a surprise...It's a family style restaurant with a petting zoo and pony rides on Saturdays. I was surprised at the variety of items that they had on their menu. Ordering takes place at the counter and they give you a number to take to your table. Waitstaff bring you your meal and make sure you have everything you need. Our waitress was polite and checked in on us regularly.

I ordered the grilled fish tacos and they were delicious. And, since I was celebrating my birthday, I allowed myself to enjoy a brownie a la mode! The chocolate was sinfully delightful.

I would definitely go to Clay's again and take family and friends.

• Visited August 2013
“I love the idea of this place”
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I love the idea of this place. It has a wonderful, welcoming setting and is a fun place to hang out. It is located less than a mile for my house so it is also very convenient. The problem is that every time I eat here, I'm disappointed. On my last visit it took us 25 minutes to get out food even though the place was just about empty. The visit before that they brought hamburgers with meat patties instead of the boca burgers we ordered. Why do I continue to go back??? It's the setting every time!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Toobz2b
Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Far West Houston Burger Joint...”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I went to Clay's for lunch on July 25, 2013 and were pleasantly surprised with how the place had changed. Our order: I ordered hamburger with lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions and mustard. They added mayo to it. My husband ordered the mushroom burger, they added lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions and mustard and mayo. The fries were good, the burgers were a disappointment. What happened to adding your own condiments?

The key here is being very specific about what is and is not to go on your burger.

We have gone off and on for several years and always enjoy sitting outside. This was nice seeing the changes made. We may or may not return, depends on if we find another spot to sit outside that is not right by the road.

• Visited July 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
“All country”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I really like the relaxed country atmosphere of this restaurant, I have yet to eat indoors. I have gotten the chicken fried chicken a couple of times and it is excellent, and all the sides are excellent as well. The servers have always been very friendly. Outdoors there is typically a peacock hanging out, which is kind of fun. I am sure to eat here many more times!

• Visited July 2013