“Authentic Indian vegetarian restaurant rocks!”
Review of Shri Balaji Bhavan

Shri Balaji Bhavan
Ranked #864 of 8,552 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Good for: Families with children
Description: For over 20 years, we have been serving Houston the best South Indian food this city has to offer. We strive in making the freshest and most authentic South Indian food! For the past 4 years we have made the Houston Chronicle, Alison Cook's Houston's Top 100 restaurants, and for 2016 the Houston Press named us as the best Indian restaurant in Houston, Texas. Have you had your Dosa yet? No? Don't wait, come in and dine with us today!!!
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This place is a favorite for us, the real deal. Always good, always full of Indians (although Americans are slowly getting the word about how awesome this restaurant is, as I see more of them lately than ever before) and always reasonable. I usually judge an Indian restaurant by their chai, first and foremost, and I think the cooks have changed. The chai used to be more authentic, but the food still rocks. Love the chhole!! Usal pav, dabeli, the thalis, the lassis . . . everything is awesome. Super spicy though. If you're not used to Indian, go with a dosa. You order and pay at the counter, get a number, and grab it when they call your number. They do have food runners but don't count on them, since this place gets so crowded that they have to bus tables to make room for the line that often stretches to the door. Just listen for your number and grab your stuff. We always pig out; a freauent order for us is the papdi chaat appetizer, chhole, mango ras puri and sabji, a thali, lassi, & chai. Then we split it all and go to town. If you like spicy, your mouth will be grateful :) If you like great food for low prices, your wallet will be happy too.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

We really enjoyed visiting Balaji Bhavan. We have been here many times.

the masala dosas are highly recommended!!
Actually there are several items on the menu that taste great!! Order what you like and you wont be disappointed.

Recently we visited during a period of heavy rain in Houston. We were literally the only customers. So, the dosas came out extra-excellent!!

Very affordable place.
no reservations. Just stand in line, order, pay, and wait for the goodness to reach you!

Reviewed March 16, 2012

Located in Houston's "Little India", this strip-center hole-in-the-wall is one of my favorite places to dine. It's nothing fancy, and good luck spending much more than $10! Diners place their order at the counter and then pick up the food when it's ready, which is pretty quickly.

My favorite dish here and the thing that keeps me coming back is the Samosa Chaat. This is a traditional samosa that is decapitated and then drowned in a spicy sauce of chickpeas and cilantro. I also like the chili rice - very simply biryani rice with chiles. Last night I had what seems like the Indian version of "sloppy joes", with toasted buns served a very spicy curry sauce with onions and ??? (Balaji Bhava). We also had another dish for the first time last night - a daal fry mixed with rice.

I am usually the only non-Indian when I dine here, which is always a great sign. It's nothing fancy, but it's clean and the wait-staff is very friendly. I have never been anything but pleased with any dish I have tried.

Word of warning: Closed on Tuesdays!

2  Thank Alan B
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Good south Indian food. Their dosas are quite well made and at par with what you get in India. High quality food.

Problem is that they have self service system where you go and get the food from the counter and then one helper clears off the plates after you are done eating. When the place gets crowded their service slows down. It takes forever for the tables to get sanitized and then when you look around you see dirty leftovers on the next tables. If you can live with that then its a great place for south Indian food!

1  Thank firedrill
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Not so great seating and service. Its a small place and crowded but the food is good and they maintain quality. Also the prices are reasonable.