“Excellent South Indian food at an affordable price” 5 of 5 bubbles

Shri Balaji Bhavan
Ranked #976 of 8,114 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Seating, Takeout, Television
Description: For over 20 years, we have been serving Houston the best South Indian food this city has to offer. We strive in making the freshest and most authentic South Indian food! For the past 4 years we have made the Houston Chronicle, Alison Cook's Houston's Top 100 restaurants, and for 2016 the Houston Press named us as the best Indian restaurant in Houston, Texas. Have you had your Dosa yet? No? Don't wait, come in and dine with us today!!!
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Excellent South Indian food at an affordable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

I am a big fan of south Indian food and while in Houston, I wanted to make the best use of the opportunity and eat quality south Indian food. My hunger for this flavor of Indian food was satisfied when I found this restaurant. The business model is extremely simple. You walk up to the cash register, get the menu, order what you want, pay for it and leave with a token and find your own seating. When the food is ready the host/waiter will walk over to your table (after identifying you with the token number).

The variety of south Indian food is mind boggling. The quality & taste are the best I've had in the US. Everything on the menu is freshly prepared right then and there. I absolutely loved their dosa (think it was called Bangalore special dosa or something like that). For starters I had what they called Rageda Pattice. Apparently this was a new item on the menu I was told and boy, was it spicy! I considered that I was highly tolerant of spicy flavor till I had this. The taste again was fantastic. I also ordered their mango lassi for the drink. Its one of my favorite Indian drinks and I make it a point to order it whenever I visit any Indian restaurant. But this one by far has been the best mango lassi I've ever tasted. For the main course, I had the dosa. They also offer a wide selection of dessert but I was already full from eating these two dishes that I skipped dessert altogether. I especially have to state that the sambhar or sambar (however its spelled) is by far the most authentic i've ever tasted. Having been to India I have tasted authentic Indian sambar and this is by far close to or dare I say better than the sambar i've had in India! So if you are in Houston do stop by this place and try out their food, you will be glad you did!

Oh, on weekends, be prepared to wait to get seating, especially if its around lunch time. People just flock here for lunch and the wait can get a little irritating as your nostrils take in the wonderful aroma of the food around you :)

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank chandsa

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Awesome dabelis and thalis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2008

Awesome dabelis and thalis

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Hole-in-the-wall veggie...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2007

Hole-in-the-wall veggie Indian place with kickass entreés, mostly under $5. Not much to look at, but who cares?

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook