“Enjoyable Evening, Good Service & Live Music”

Rudi Lechner's German Restaurant
Ranked #320 of 8,150 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: German, European, Austrian, Central European
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: For more than thirty seven years, we are a casual, and "gemuetliches" German-Texan restaurant, that is all about Sausages, Wiener Schnitzel and great German Beer and Wine. During all this time, Rudi has enjoyed a loyal and regular following and makes each visit memorable and personal. The restaurant is for many customers "their home away from home". On the menu there is something for everyone! Our famous Wiener Schnitzelis a delicate veal cutlet, breaded and pan-fried, or the selection of grilled Sausages Bratwurst, Knackwurst and Polish Sausage. The very popular Heritage Dinner plate is a sampling of Red Cabbage, Sauerkraut, Austrian Potatoes, Sausages, Roasted Chicken, Pork Loin, Wiener Schnitzel and Sauerbraten. At least once you have to try Rudi's Pork Shank (Eisbein or Schweinshax'n) Enough food to feed even the hungriest Texas Cowboy!
Houston, Texas
“Enjoyable Evening, Good Service & Live Music”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I had often wondered what this restaurant was like but never ventured in. So finally took the plunge and didn't regret it.

From the outside, you can't see what is inside, but inside they have a large bar and a separate restaurant, quite quaint and appealing. I had often traveled, worked and dined in Germany, so I had a good idea what to expect.

We went thru the menu rather than the buffet on the Oktoberfest night. We had a few beers, all different and all very strong, dark beers, wonderful tastes. Also tried a couple of glasses of white house wines but these were not so good, but the wonderful waiter was attentive and dropped it from the final bill. That is something you do not always see.

We both had a soup, I had the German Potato soup, my wife had the White wine soup, and I have to say that they were big enough to consume as a meal in its own right.

We then had a steak dinner, I opted for the Viennese Onion steak and my wife went for the 6oz filet, and a large sausage along with a variety of vegetables, including more potato's. I ate as much as I could, yet still needed a box to go.

The flavors were so much more than I could remember, I have not been back to Germany in almost ten years. Yet it did stir many memories of the nights I traveled on business across Germany, the beers, great steaks, etc. The food is well cooked, a bit of a family cooked flavor.

We finished with coffee's, I went with the Viennese Ice coffee, my wife went with something I can't pronounce the name of.

Add to the good food, there was plenty of Germanic music, with local dress from a bygone era, and the lederhosen were a hoot.

If you have never visited Rudi's, I recommend coming on an Oktoberfest nacht, and enjoy the buffet, the beers, and sample the life and times of an endearing era from Austria/Germany.

The restaurant was about 80% full, and there were many other patrons in the bar adjoining the restaurant.

If there is one drawback, it is the parking. This can be awful at busy periods, so think about getting here early.

For the food, sample the buffet. Indeed I shall re-visit Rudi's again in due course.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank BHEBfoodie

“Down Hill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

This was a disappointing visit to what was an outstanding restaurant. The server was rude to my wife twice until I confronted him. Even after the confrontation, he asked her a question and before she could answer he walked away to serve another table. The food at best was average. This was the second time we have visited since Rudi sold out and we were somewhat disappointed the other time too. But there was no excuse for the server's behavior this time. We have been coming to this restaurant for 15 years when we visit Houston - even had my son's wedding rehearsal dinner at Rudi's.

Rudi L, Manager at Rudi Lechner's German Restaurant, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
We apologize for your less than satisfactory experience with us. The behavior of the server you described is not acceptable by our standards and we do not tolerate his actions. We would appreciate it if you could provide more information regarding him. We truly appreciate the loyalty of you and your family over the past 15 years and we would like to continue that relationship with many 5 star experiences in the future. Please contact Pam at info@rudilechners.com.
Needville, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My dish good, waiter excellent, Hostess@podium RUDE!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Had party of 5 -a birthday. Made dinner reserv a week in advance(person taking reservation did not seem to get the concept of a reservation). Be advised, Rudi's says it is impossible to change your reservation. Parking is a nightmare-be prepared to walk. We were on time, to a scowl from RUDE middle aged podium woman, were seated quickly. Ordered drinks +bottle of wine. Waiter Maurilio was very attentive & joined in bits of conversation/laughter w/our table. However, was evident podium woman was pushing to force us to order our meal, which we put off trying to enjoy occasion w/drinks. Once ordered meals came quickly, food ok but nothing like orig. owner. Waiter forced to push dessert order. Podium woman watched like hawk because we are not leaving soon enough. Paid our ticket $200.00. Still had 1/3 bottle of wine. As I had 2 sips left in my glass, podium woman came over and ASKED US TO LEAVE!!! because she had people waiting. This is beyond rude. I should have believed the other bad reviews.

1 Thank 2LikeitorNot
Rudi L, Owner at Rudi Lechner's German Restaurant, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We value honest and constructive opinions as an opportunity for improvement. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We apologize for the rude behavior that you received while dining at our restaurant. If you would like to further discuss this incident, please contact Pam at info@rudilechners.com.
Hempstead, Texas
“Oktoberfest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Wednesday nite buffet - an opportunity to sample all the German/Austrian specialties - MUSIC! Take my word for it - DO NOT request seating 'near' the band - because we were ushered to a table right next to the band , as in 2 feet away.

Asked the hostess for a different table who went to consult with the front of the room manager who informed me that I requested a table near the band and that is what they gave me. I commented that near didn't necessarily mean 'next to' and that there was no way we were sitting next to the band. We were then offered a different table. The manager was quite rude.

Food was good, waiter was also wonderful and helpful. The band was very loud and conversation was difficult (two couples).

• Visited October 2013
Rudi L, Owner at Rudi Lechner's German Restaurant, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thanks for the 4 star review! We appreciate that you took the time to write your review. We apologize for your seat right next to the band. We are pleased to hear that you received a new table. The managers behavior is not acceptable and most certainly not how we conduct our business. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will be looking further into this incident. If you would like to further discuss your review, please contact Montaque at montaque8@yahoo.com.
Southlake, Texas
“Terrific authentic German food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

German food often gets mistreated. Delicate schnitzel gets turned into heavy, oily chicken fried steak. Spaetzle becomes egg noodles. Red cabbage becomes cole slaw. And there you have the Americanization of German cuisine.

Rudi Lechner's was recommended to me by a Houston colleague who knows good food, and this restaurant lived up to expectations. I took several colleagues for lunch, and was suitably impressed by the array of items on the menu, including my beloved jaeger schnitzel. Main dishes were served with appropriate and authentic side dishes.

Our server was an exceptionally pleasant woman who made sure our meal was exactly what we wanted.

I'd love to see this place in full swing during Oktoberfest -- it must be a wonderful time!

About the only negative is the difficulty in parking. The restaurant is located in a strip mall that really is short of spaces. Many of the businesses have obnoxious "this space reserved for <so and so>" signs up, which really does not help matters. But the food is worth the trip once you get a spot!

• Visited October 2013
Rudi L, Owner at Rudi Lechner's German Restaurant, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thanks for the 4 star review! We appreciate that you stopped by on your colleagues’ recommendation and that you enjoyed your visit. We pride ourselves on having outstanding customer service and satisfaction. Please stop by again in the near future, especially if you can make it for Oktoberfest!!