“FILTHY AND DISGUSTING”

Lai Lai Dumpling House
Ranked #3,162 of 8,311 Restaurants in Houston
Reviewed November 23, 2013

STAY AWAY FROM HERE.

This is the most disgusting place I have ever been. My friend had pork lo mein. The pork was so tough and chewy I had to spit it out. The sauce on the noodles had the texture of slim with little or no taste.

My orange chicken had very little taste and there was almost no meat. It seemed to be fired lumps of breading with a sweet tasteless sauce. I did not eat much of it because I was afraid of getting sick from it.

We also ordered chicken steamed dumplings. These came after the other items. They were very thick and very greasy. They tasted like they have been soaked in the remains from a grease trap. I had to spit this into a napkin. They smelled like dirty feet.

We took the food to give to a lab in case we get sick from it. The health department should close them down.

1  Thank Donald R
There are newer reviews for Lai Lai Dumpling House

Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I love this place! I drive all the was from Spring to go to this place and its SO worth it! It's this little hole in the wall place with huge portions!

Service is rude and terrible but the food is so amazing... It doesn't matter one bit!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have been going to Lai Lai since I was 6 and that is about 30yrs ago! It has always been hot, fresh and cheap and we were always greeted warmly by the owners..but since 2-5 yrs ago we have noticed the owners not there and prices have climbed up some which is understandable if the food is still good..but on several occasions we have been let down a little..however this time was the worst! The minute we walked in we smelled urine in the whole place..trying not to be rude we still sat down to order our usuals of general tsos, dumplings, lomein and Mongolian beef..so sad that it wasn't the same..the general tsos was just fried dough/chicken skin in sauce and the other dishes were substantially smaller as if they are trying to skimp on the meat..the dumplings are almost the same with more dough so it makes me wonder if they changed chefs or owners :( so disappointed Bc this is one of the few nostalgic places we have left of Houston but Bc it was so bad n dirtier than before we aren't going back :( they really need to get it back in shape esp since down the street there are so many newer and yummier places to eat!

1  Thank livelovex7
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The first time I went to Lai Lai Dumpling House was over 20 years ago, as one of many college students who flocked to Lai Lai for inexpensive Chinese food. My favorite items at Lai Lai are the green onion pancakes and the hot and sour soup, which if the larger size is ordered comes in a bowl that's really more of a vat - it's huge! I sometimes order the lo mein, which is greasy but still a nostalgic favorite. The dumplings are somewhat average, to be honest. My daughter loves the General Tso's chicken. Although Lai Lai is not the best restaurant in suburban Chinatown, it's a comfortable and inexpensive spot that does a few things quite well and it well worth being part of your regular rotation of Chinatown eateries.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Wonderful food, plentiful servings. We had so much food ended up taking a lot home, but that is okay because there are some great leftovers to look forward to having! Dumplings were great, couldn't decide so got the sampler assortment. It is a hole in the wall restaurant for sure, but if you are adventuresome it is worth the visit!