“No frills but great food for the price”

New York Coffee Shop
Ranked #31 of 56 Coffee & Tea in Houston
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Nice place to meet someone for coffee or a quick bite to eat. Breakfast is one of the best around...try an omelette and hash browns! Makes me hungry just thinking about it :)
Plan on a wait if you go late morning on the weekends but definitely worth it.
Servers are efficient and not to chatty...which I appreciate.

1  Thank ToadInTx
There are newer reviews for New York Coffee Shop

Reviewed July 13, 2012

10/14/2011

Checked this place out after reading all the reviews. My vegetarian wife ordered the waffle with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. That's all she will get at this place. I had the elaborate plain toasted bagel with nova, cream cheese, onions, tomato, etc. The bagel was not to my liking.

On Tuesday this week, I went for the weekday breakfast special. A two egg plain omelet, well done home fries and wheat toast. Coffee. It was good. So, this morning I went for breakfast. A two egg omelet with onions and jalapeños, grits and a toasted onion bagel.

BIG MISTAKE. The omelet was oily and brown, the overcooked onions made it disgustingly sweet and there were so many pickled jalapeños, it made me ask the waitress if they had served me onions and jalapeños with a little egg.

The waitress took away this mess while I ate the grits and bagel. The owners were at the register when I went to pay. I explained to them what I had ordered and told them how Tuesday was great and today was a disaster. They kept saying sorry but as owners, they could have done more.

I am sure there is a better waffle out there. No more going to this lousy place all the way from Sugar Land. CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS. The staff is courteous but the owners just don't get it. We've got Bagel Express with authentic NY bagels.
_____________________________________________________________________________

The latest for this place. I have been going to New York Coffee Shop regularly and I have endeared myself to the owner Ed Gavrila, his wife Robin and her brother Ray Kornhaber. Here is my new setup. I will go in for breakfast and either Alejo, Alex, Marlo or Ray will swap out a regular chair with two stacked ones which serve as an adult highchair.

Marie brings coffee for my wife Jyoti and a glass of ice and a straw. No water for me, kidney issues. My wife has a Belgian waffle, fresh strawberries and whipped cream on the side. She comes here just for this. I like to try other stuff from the elaborate two page menu. Yesterday I had scheduled an UYE here. No one showed up. I was there at 8. Eddie visited for a while, my friend and his wife, daughter and son joined us. They ordered, we ate and left around 10.

Now, this is my new routine and both Ed and Marie look forward to my going there. I love the place.

1  Thank Nikunjbhai
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I ate here with a friend of mine who raved about the place. Definitely crowded like a NY deli, definitely a menu like a NY deli, but the bagel was mediocre (I suppose good for Texas), the tomatoes had no flavor, the cucumbers were good, and when i asked for red onions they didnt have any. The plate of fried matzah that someone at another table had looked pretty good. I suppose if I visit my friend again living near there I will try it again and give them another chance, but not going out of my way to eat there.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

Our favorite is the daily special which includes eggs made to order, tomatoes (hashed browns or potato pancake if you're not as fat conscious), and an extensive selection of bagels. The staff is speedy and very friendly.