“very good”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Alabama
Transit: Julia's bistro is located along the MetroRail line. Ensemble/HCC stop.
“very good”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I enjoyed this quaint little bistro. Some very tasty food in a very inviting atmosphere. The whole experience was a nice blend of flavors.

• Visited December 2011

“Delicious!”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Set on a corner in downtown Houston, on Main Street, you can watch the traffic, people and train go by as you sip on a mojito, which is exactly what I did. The mojito was the perfect blend of sweetness and punch. For starters, my friend had the ceviche, which came on a large platter surrounded by homemade tortilla chips. The fresh shrimp, jicama and fish were enough to feed 3 people. I had the soup of the day, tortilla soup. It was not like any I have had before and the texture was grainy because of the ground tortilla chips. The fresh cilantro and small amount of cheese added to the flavor. It was ok, not the best tortilla soup I have ever had. It came in a large bowl and could have made a meal along with a salad.

For an entree I had the salmon which was cooked perfectly and had a crispy crust. My sides were chipolte mashed potatoes and spinach. The potatoes had an orange tint and perfectly spiced and unlike any potatoes I have ever tasted. The spinach was seasoned with garlic and olives (how unique!) and was salty and tender and I wish I had more.

My friend had the red snapper and it was very mild and not "fishy" at all. Her sides were jalapeno risotto and snow peas. The risotto was creamy and had a nice kick from the jalapenos. I normally don't order risotto because it is rarely cooked correctly but here it was perfect. The snow peas were sweet and crisp.

The portions of both entrees were large and I took half home and the left overs were just as delicious as the night before.

For dessert we had the cayanne chocolate mousse. WOW. A creamy mousse and just when you think "where is the heat?" the cayanne hits the back of your throat. WOW. Very very tasty with a wonderful, soothing texture.

• Visited June 2012
Houston, Texas
“Ok but hoped for better”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We dined at Julia's on a Saturday evening to celebrate our daughter's birthday. We ordered their pre fixe menu, a special Rodeo menu, thinking we would get a nice introduction to the types of things we would find on the menu. It was just ok. The service was a bit slow and there weren't many people in the place. Our steaks were tasty but a bit tough. When we left, we walked out the back door and into a crawfish boil where the restaurant was selling crawfish for $6/lb. Somehow, after spending so much on dinner, we felt the whole thing a bit odd. One really good thing: free valet parking, which is a big help in this part of Houston.

• Visited March 2012
Houston, Texas
“Pleasant restaurant for an enjoyable meal”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This was my 2nd visit to the restaurant. This time I ate of the tapas menu for a variety of good food with a definite Spanish flavor. Really enjoyed the beef croquettes and the mushrooms, but everything was very favorable. The desserts were a little bland, or after all the spices of the tapas, I didn't taste them as well. The Argentinian Malbec the waiter suggested was excellent, and was at the lower end of the price range for the wine list. Service was excellent. Look for their specials and special offers to get a good deal.

• Visited August 2011
“"Way way way OVERPRICED!!!"”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Don't go here if you are hungry; because you still will be when you leave.