“Not quite what we expected”

Jimmy G'S Restaurant
Ranked #164 of 8,243 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Saskatchewan
“Not quite what we expected”
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

We were staying next door at the Hyatt Place and basically had the option of Jimmy G's or the hotel 24/7 menu - we love seafood so thought we'd try the restaurant.

The kids meals were generous sizes and reasonably priced. Our waitress was a sweetheart and kept the drinks filled, answered questions and explained the menu.

We tried the deluxe seafood platter and the crawfish dinner, to try something new but found the seafood platter very deep fried and the crawfish dinner very spicy. It was a great way to try out some variety but just wasn't quite what we were expecting. Three of us had the gumbo and bisque too and that wasn't great either - I think we missed the Cajun memo!?!?

Maybe we should have just tried out the oysters that are supposed to be their specialty! Anyways, for this particular outing we wished we had stayed at the hotel to eat.

The restaurant was fairly busy though so that's always a good sign!

Sedona, Arizona
“The Best of the Gulf”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I go out of my way when I visit Houston to eat the best the Gulf has to offer in a perfect casual setting. Oysters, crawdads, shrimp, lobster and fish fresh right out of the gulf. My friends and I always sit at the bar and peel crawdads and shrimp while we watch a game and enjoy Jimmy G's hospitality. Here is a tip that's not on the menu...Blackened Redfish! It's the chef's specialty, served with Cajun potato, corn on the cob and etouffee. You can't lose. It's located right on a freeway and close to the Greenspoint area for easy access. Enjoy!

Greenville, South Carolina
“Yep the oysters are awesome”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I'm not a cajun seafood person but was able to have an awesome shrimp poboy. The reason we went here was my family loves seafood and cajun just added to the experience. No the atmosphere isn't spectacular but a very pleasant dining experience. Everything we ordered was great but I guess the experience is to sit at the oyster bar and watch the cooks. We went for the food and would go back again. Seems like everytime we went by the parking lot was full.

“Gumbo & service”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

This place was recommended from the local hotel & was the only option for miles to get a bite. The atmosphere is Denny's meets Olive Garden - you will notice the strangely decorated pie case out front. The service was fantastic, super nice and quick. Prices are reasonable too. I am a foodie so for me this was just not working out great, better then starving but I could not do this on a regular basis. The jalapeño poppers are dipped in seriously thick batter and the goo inside was a flavor from the Velvetta Cheez Co. This would be fabulous for folks who like that super fried comfort food - this is perfect for that.

1 Thank Ilikefinefood
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic gumbo”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We went to jimmy G's as it was recommended to us. The service was okay, but the food was great. I've never had gumbo like this! Everyone I was with had the same reaction that I did, even with their regular meals (although not nearly as good as the gumbo, still good)!

I'd definitely go back again, all I would change is making sure I order a boat of gumbo this time!