“Decent pizza for Texas”

Ranked #264 of 8,552 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Description: In the summer of 1976, Henry "Hank" Zwirek and his buddy, Ed, both native Chicagoans, grew tired of living in the windy city and relocated to Houston. Hank realized the burgeoning city lacked high quality pizza and delivery service (which was a norm in Chicago). In the summer of 1976, Henry "Hank" Zwirek and his buddy, Ed, both native Chicagoans, grew tired of living in the windy city and relocated to Houston. Hank realized the burgeoning city lacked high quality pizza and delivery service (which was a norm in Chicago). Acting on Hank's instincts, the two purchased a quaint two-story house on Norfolk and in October of 1976, a Star (pizza) was born.Business continued to thrive and Hank was eager to expand. In the summer of 1988 a second Star was born, affectionately named Star 2. The offspring of the original was located at 140 S. Heights Blvd. in the building that's now home to Chatter's.The original Star is still located in the house on Norfolk, and continues to offer the same homely atmosphere as it did in 1976. To this day the Zwirek family owns and operates both locations and thanks their loyal Star Pizzanites for their support throughout the years.
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Born and raised in NYC I am always wary of a place that has "ny style pizza."The pizza is fairly priced, but it may help to have someone a little more customer friendly at the takeout counter.

Hank Z, Owner at Star Pizza 2, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

It's actually hand tossed crust but we're glad you enjoyed it!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I were driving in from Nola, tired, happy, and hungry from our wedding...excellent Caesar salads, wonderful Margherita pizza. We also tried the Starburst deep dish pizza. Way too much food but it was amazing. It was packed (Sunday evening) but the service was impeccable and attentive. After a week of the best food in the world (New Orleans) this pizza held up to the standards we had become accustomed to. Look forward to going back soon when we are back in Houston.

Hank Z, Owner at Star Pizza 2, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

We're glad you and your wife enjoyed our Caesar salad and Starburst pizza! Please don't be a stranger the next time y'all are in Houston!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Want the best pizza in Texas? I know that is a very broad, and debatable claim, but I think it is. Hands down, you won't be hungry when you leave. The pizza is a little pricey, but you get your money's worth. There is cheaper pizza around, but why? I would rather eat something that is delectable. Yes, Star is delectable!

Hank Z, Owner at Star Pizza 2, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thanks for the great review and of course for stopping by Tex! Don't be a stranger, stop by again!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

So I just got back from overseas and was craving pizza. My kids tell me they know a good place to go eat pizza. We drove all the way from Katy and I was not disappointed. They have great pizza and service was excellent. This is our new family spot for pizza.

Hank Z, Owner at Star Pizza 2, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thanks for stopping by Ramsay! We're definitely glad your kids picked us and that everything including the food and service was up to par!
See y'all soon!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

It was ok. Nothing that I would really care to try again. We went here on the recommendation of some friends and it was OK. There were three of us, and not one of us really cared for it. There was A LOT of sauce and onion. The meats they used for topping were pretty good. The cheese bread is just that, garlic bread with some melted cheese on it. Also, it was really pricey for what you get. I'm fine with paying $15 for a decent medium pizza, but I don't really think this was worth it. The beers were almost $5 as well....so all in all it was just eh. The service was good, just not really anything else.

Hank Z, Owner at Star Pizza 2, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Alright, thanks for stopping by!