“Excellent Dining Experience”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Cross street: Dunlavy Street
Reviewed January 5, 2013

It was a lovely dinner, celebrating my 61st birthday with my daughter Lanin, who had just recently moved to Houston, So she surprised me with dinner at Mark's, the duck was excellent and they treated me to a very tasty creme brulee. Go and enjoy the ambiance and the food, the wine selection is also very good.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

What the heck is all the hoopla about? Snooty patrons, snooty & rude waitstaff, mediocre quality food.

My partner took me to Mark's on Thursday, December 20 for my birthday dinner. We both been wanting to go to Mark's for several years and this year he decided what better reason than to celebrate my birthday. We had a 7:45 PM reservation and arrived well in time to be seated.

Once seated we waited 15 minutes before the waiter bothered to even acknowledge we were seated in his area. He was far too busy smoozing with what appeared to be regular patrons. When he finally did come over he did not bother to introduce himself or ask if we had been before or any other such cordial greeting. He simply asked if we wanted to order a drink. No wine list, nothing. I asked if they had a beer he could recommend and you would have thought I had asked for something out of the ordinary. Finally, he said they had a good IPA and so that is what we ordered. We are not wine drinkers. The beer took exactly 12 minutes to get to the table and it was dropped by a walk by waiter who was not our assigned waiter. We proceeded to look at the menu and nibble on bread while we watched and listed to Houston's elite carried on. Oh I forgot to mention there was a Christmas party in the loft area that sounded like they were at a Texans game, and not a restaurant. 20 minutes after we received our beers the waiter came back and asked if we were ready to order. When he took the order for the table next to our I overheard him going through a long description of the "off the menu" items for the evening. At this point I was testing him to see how he would treat us. Just as I expected, he did not tell us about the "off the menu" specials, he simply asked what we wanted to order and left. All around us as tables turned the waitstaff was giving very detailed descriptions of the items they had, but not to us.

The food arrived 40 minutes after we ordered. I had the tuna and my partner had the lamb shank. Qualitywise I would say on par with a 3 or 3.5 star establishment. Nothing overly special about the food. The tuna was tasty and the lamb was cooked quite well. But nothing I would ever brag about to anyone. We have had better food at Houston restaurants such as Haven.

When my partner made the reservation he told them it was a birthday dinner. Did they do anything special? Nothing. There were several birthday parties there that evening and each received some sort of dessert with a very nice "Happy Birthday" from their waiter. Yes, we overheard them.

Once we were done with our meal our waiter did not ask if we wanted anything else, he brought the check. My partner wanted to try one of their deserts and I wanted to see what they had on the menu. The waiter rolled his eyes and brought the desert menu to us. He recommended the chocolate cake and the raspberry tart as the signature items. Well the chocolate cake sounded like Chili's molten lava cake so that was out. My partner ordered the raspberry tart. Care to guess how many raspberries there were on it? 2, count them 2. The shortbread was doughy to boot.

When we were done and cashed we left. And no we will not be returning. There are tons of awesome and amazing restaurants in Houston. Mark's is not one of them.

4  Thank DrFood
Reviewed December 24, 2012

To put it simply, Mark's is one of my favorite restaurants in the world. It is pricy, and we save it for a special occasion as you can expect to pay around $100 per person for dinner (with drinks and tips). But it is well worth it for a special occasion (and they have a 3 course fixed price lunch at $30 that is a terrific value). The favorite dishes nearly always come from Mark's list of "specials" so wait to hear those before you make up your mind. I always order the seafood sampler appetizer as it is always terrific, no matter what Mark puts in the sampler. The corn chowder is to die for...it is my favorite soup anywhere. My boyfriend often orders the oysters which are on the regular menu....I am not a oyster fan but those are yummy. And if you are lucky enough to be there in the winter and lobster in a pumpkin is one of the specials, be sure and order that one....it is indescribally good. Reservations are a must.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

You must go to this restaurant, fabulous food, great atmosphere and classy servers. Every time I've eaten at Mark's I have been very pleased and surprised by the fusion of flavors - traditional coupled with modern savvy. Everything on the menu is excellent and the side vegetables and starches will impress you.

Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

The food was great, wait staff fabulous. Mario was our waiter he was great he explained all the specials my wife had the lobster scallop special I had Kobe short ribs and venison it was fantastic. Great place to celebrate a special occasion. Would recommend it highly website is very helpful has daily specials and prices.
Great spot in Houston Texas.