“Horrible Mother's Day”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Great Uptown
Cross street: Between Hilcroft & Fountainview at Greenridge
Description: TOGETHER IS OUR SECRET INGREDIENT! The Melting Pot Restaurant is where fun is cooked up fondue style. Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, anniversary, long overdue date night or celebrating with a group. We are the premier fondue restaurant, centrally located on Westheimer, providing a casually elegant dining experience and an intimate atmosphere. The relaxing four-course experience begins with a cheese fondue prepared table side and fresh salads while your entrée pot heats up. You’ll simmer a variety of meats, seafood and vegetables in the cooking style of your choice. Each morsel is hot, fresh and delicious and all entrées are accompanied by an array of dipping sauces. Chocolate fondue is the finale, served with decadent dippers. Most make reservations for the four-course dining experience but more than a few have stopped by to satisfy that cheese fondue or chocolate craving. The Melting Pot also features a great wine list, specialty cocktails and martinis.
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Horrible Mother's Day! Took my mother and father to the Melting Pot for Mother's Day. While we studied the menu for about 15 minutes and finally all agreed on what to order. That is when our server told us we could not order individual meals only "The Big Night Out" or 4 course meals. So, again we go over the menus. My husband and I decide to do the 4 course meal because it had tuna, salmon, steak, chicken, and shrimp. The Big night out had BBQ pork and Buffalo Chicken (Yuck! IN fondue?) I proceed to order and the server tells us that is old menu and grabs the menu from me and says we have to order off the other menu. I told her I didn't like anything on the Big Night Out menu and they said they would make it to our order, but they would not do Tuna even though it was listed on my menu. Fine, I was able to sub for salmon instead. I'm a member of club fondue and received a coupon good for Mother's Day Only from 12-3pm and ONLY on individual meals. "Mom's eat free from 12noon until 3pm, Maximum discount of $20 on individual meals when two other individual meals are purchased" We dined at 1:00pm. I present this coupon and ask her why I received this coupon if I could not order off of the individual meals. She couldn't answer and told me I would not be able to use it. What is the point of being a member if I can't use the perks?!?!? After dining and receiving the bill, I notice the gratuity had been added on there already...really on a party of 4? And the menu never stated it. I will never ever be back. The food was horrible, server was short with us when we questioned her.

mrwestlake14, General Manager at The Melting Pot, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

We are always happy to be made aware of an opportunities to improve. We cannot address service, hospitality and other issues unless we are aware of them. Hopefully we resolved this situation to the guests satisfaction.

For the Melting Pot fan that travels or visits multiple locations please note that Melting Pot's are independently owned and operated. Not all offers are available at every locations. Location offers and pricing can and do differ. Club Fondue offers and promotions are offered by individual locations and may not be able to be honored at all locations.

Please bring any service or hospitality issue to the manager during your visit we would like to resolve them so you can continue to enjoy an exceptional dining experience.

All the best,

Dustin Wendel
713-532-5011

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Best restruant ever! Yummy with dipping pretty much everything is yummy.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

We have been here twice; once on a date just me and my wife and the other time as an engagement dinner with friends and family. No matter how big or small your group/party is, service is top notch! Very knowledgeable and engaging staff that really do treat you to a wonderful evening! Do make sure to make a reservation though as walk-ins typically have to wait a while. This can be done either over the phone or on-line. Wonderful atmosphere and just a great time out on the town!

Reviewed February 26, 2012

We gathered 14 family members to celebrate my father's 87th birthday. Only 3 in our party had been to The Melting Pot before, and they were the ones who recommended it. We went on a leisurely Sunday afternoon which worked put well, since from the time of our reservation to when we walked out at completion was 3 hours. Dinner is definitely a culinary event there!

With a large party such as ours, they took our reservation by phone 2 days in advance, and then asked that we submit the large party agreement 24 hours prior to our reservation time. The agreement can be found in pdf format on the website. In it you guarantee a certain number of diners. I was a little leery of committing to paying for 14 if only 13 ended up coming, so I guaranteed the smaller number. We ended up adding the 14th that day. I filled in the form online, including menu selections, then was perplexed by how to submit the form over the internet. Instead I printed it (you cannot save it to your computer) and dropped it off directly at the restaurant the day before our outing.

The day of our event the staff was expecting us. They had a large table with 4 cooking stations. At the table were printed menus with my selections with a personalized Happy Birthday greeting to my father. That was a very nice touch. However, the meat selections listed for our entrees were not what I had pre-chosen. My daughter and I left the table to speak to the manager about the discrepancy. Initally they politely told us we had chosen incorrectly, but when they brought up the form on their own computer, they saw that what was listed in the package I had chosen was different from what they believed the package to be. I am uncertain if this was due to a miscommunciation from the 'home office' to their branch, but it was not a problem and they graciously made it right for us and we got the entrees I intended us to have.

There is a ton of food, and once you become engaged in the fondue process, it becomes your focus for the next hour or so, until you can't eat another bite! None of the food is to die for, but it is good enough.

The restaurant interior is very dark inside, and the tables and booths are separated by dark partitions. It felt a bit like a throwback to the 70's. In spite of the seemingly secluded seating arrangement, we could hear other diners even though we couldn't see them. Our servers were very polite and personable. They got our checks wrong the first time, but again made right without a fuss.

All in all it was a great way for my family to celebrate a birthday that was different and fun. I wouldn't think I would have any desire to return again though. I'm glad we went, but once is probably enough for me .

1  Thank saxwhit
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The food was great, the service was exceptional, the atmosphere was nice. It was the weekend after Valentine's Day. Was crowded. We were advised it would be a 45 minute wait. In reality we waited about 10 minutes. Nice suprise! Our table ended up being next to the kitchen. Was kind of nervous about that. Ended up not being a problem at all. It was actually quiet. We could see into the kitchen as the staff went into the kitchen, but still was not an issue.

I always enjoy going here for special occassions. Will go back again!