“Great enchiladas”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We make it to Sylvia's almost every time we travel to Houston. It's great food. Their margaritas are good too.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We dined at lunch during the work week. Our room was full of business people sharing a meal and working some.
Great atmosphere, fun and inviting. Enjoyed the music - not too loud, very lively.
The service was good.
Great chips and salsa!
My 2nd bite of Mexico City Enchilada was NOT the best. There was a sharp bone amongst the shredded chicken. Something I might expect of fish, but not chicken.
Our order was off the lunch (not dinner) menu.
Mexico City enchiladas (2 regular size, with chicken and tomatillo sauce, some sour cream), rice and beans, 2 iced teas and a plain Caesar salad. $26.
Perhaps for this part of town, that's not a bad price for lunch but it's pricey for me.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visit family in Houston frequently and usally eat at Sylvia's. We have yet to be disappointed. We took friends with us who were first time visitors to Houston and Sylvia's did not disappoint them either. Their menu is a variety of style and every dish is a worthy selection. I had the Chicken Enchilada's with Mole sauce. Very tasty. No doubt our next trip will once again include Sylvia's

Reviewed December 20, 2012

It's located directly beside a mega-church, so you'd have to time your visits around their traffic,... however, that's probably not really frequent. We visited on a Sunday afternoon, and it was no problem.
Outdoor dining. Impeccable service. Amazing variety of enchiladas. I don't like enchiladas, find them too rich, but I sampled my husband's spinach ones, and they seemed quite tasty.
They also seem to have buffets, although that wasn't around when we were there. That would be a good way to sample, I think.
Their tortillas are marvelous, homemade flour and corn. Good food, all homemade it seems. .. with care.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

There are two locations, and we ate in the Woodway location. I had read a favorable review in the travel section of my local California newspaper two or three years ago, and wanted to try it out when next in the Houston area. The fact that my wife's name is Sylvia was also an appeal.

We had the Crystal City spinach enchiladas (nothing like that where I come from, and they were very good), the Mexico City enchiladas (chicken with salsa verde), Sylvia's Homemade Tortilla Soup (chicken, avocado, cheese, tortilla chips), and the Sopa de Fidelo (vermicelli and chicken). All were prepared well and were very tasty.

There were many other items on the menu which we wanted to try, so we definitely want to come back when we're next in Houston.